• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Orange Box

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Ok, I got if finally.......good grief...........been banging my head on a brick wall for a while........Gapped the plugs at .050 and checked the wires.....Went for a test drive....ran like crap and was afraid I was going to blow huge holes in my flowmasters..........sounded like shotguns going off on deceleration............. :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
So then I thought maybe I would just put the original coil back on.....................SAME CRAP AGAIN................ :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Next try is to switch the wires around on the coil........even though I know I had them on right..............exact same CRAP.................. :brickwall: :brickwall:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
So, I decided to run a different hot wire to the MSD instead of the original one that had run to the coil. I put one straight off of where the ballast resister was.................same CRAP.... :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
So the next thing I did was cut the wires going to the distributor and switched them.......tried to start the car and it would not start....advanced the timing and it started but died......advanced more and finally got it to run long enough to check it with my timing light. Set it at 38 degrees total advance.........Runs great!!!!!!!!! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
So I went back to the MSD book on page 19 and they have the drawing wrong........My wires coming from the distributor were not the same color as they were in the diagram so I used the drawing of the connector to figure it out. They have the connector drawn backwards........didn't get to test drive because I need to fix my wiring harness now.....but it revs very quickly with no deceleration backfiring............I'll take a test drive tomorrow and let you know how it is really running............ :yesnod:

moparchris

Reaction score
Dude I have been down that road sooooo many times. Each time it fools me for a while then the light goes on. :leave:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
You just have to be thorough..........man I was about to order a new chrome box and switch it all back out.........geeezzzzzz :cheers:

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
glad you figured it out.....sometimes it just the simple stuff we over look......and who reads directions anyway :lmao:

Back