• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Orange Box

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
And just how are these comments suppose to help me...... :toetap: :toetap: :toetap:

Put your MSD box on and quit being so snippity...

:jester:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Ray, I think I'll take your advice and do that tonight.........I'll keep everyone posted........hopefully my whining will quit then......... :lol:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
[quote="Hoosier Bird"...hopefully my whining will quit then......... :lol:[/quote]
I doubt that :acme:

zupanj

Reaction score
Where are you going to mount your MSD box? I just picked one up and want to put it in but I want to hide it. There was a recent thread on Moparts about this and it looks like underneath the battery tray would work as well as anything but it looks like it will be a tight fit. Anyone out there mounted an MSD so it's hidden?

MarPar

Reaction score
zupanj said:
Where are you going to mount your MSD box? I just picked one up and want to put it in but I want to hide it. There was a recent thread on Moparts about this and it looks like underneath the battery tray would work as well as anything but it looks like it will be a tight fit. Anyone out there mounted an MSD so it's hidden?

I've heard of guys putting them under the dash...don't really know where exactly, but you definitely want to keep 'em cool... :cool:

toms69rr

Reaction score
I got my chrome boxes today
don't know if they are any better than the orange box yet
but it sure a lot better looking :cool:
let you know this weekend

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
zupanj said:
I spent about an hour out in the shop tonight trying to figure out where I want it.....I finally decided to sleep on it..........That way I can whine for an extra day... :lol: Oh, and the car fired right up and ran great..... :brickwall: :brickwall:

mac

What ?
Reaction score
i seem to recall someone making a fancy bracket the mounted the box across the intake behind the carb. anybody else see that?

MarPar

Reaction score
mac said:
i seem to recall someone making a fancy bracket the mounted the box across the intake behind the carb. anybody else see that?

Never heard of that one!!! :huh: wouldn't the box get too hot back there though??

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I mounted my MSD on the fenderwell below the washer bottle. I never really liked it there though.

I have also seen the washer bottle hollowed out for the ECU or MSD. The thing I would worry about that would be heat dissipation.

I also seem to remember that the MSD should not be mounted inverted, so you can't just screw it to the bottom of the battery tray.

Big John

Reaction score
This is from the A-12 forum. Its actually a rev limiter, but you get the idea.

Rev_Limiter_-_02.jpg

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
mac said:

Mac I just saw that going thru my old issues of MCG. If someone wants the info, I look again.

zupanj

Reaction score
Basketcase,

I would be interested in that article, that is the first time I have seen the washer bottle trick.

John you are right that the MSD boxes are not supposed to be mounted upside down and I believe that the MSD instructions state that. The reason is that if moisture collects it will sit on the top of the case and not dissipate very easily. However I did mount a 6AL box upside down in the passenger side footwell of my Cobra six years ago and have never had a problem with it. Now that I've said that it will probably act up now.

Jack

Big John

Reaction score
I think mounting to the engine is the last place I'd put it. Vibration and electronics don't get along.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
I think the 70 model cars had a firewall bracket that kept the ECU about and inch off the wall for some air to circulate around it.

Back