• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Out of Time

OutLawBiker

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I lost timing on my 1974 Ply Road Runner. Here are the particulars
LA360 Bored 30 over
Cam .472 Lift 296 Duration 106 L/C
340 X Heads 1968
Edelbrock 7676 Air Max Intake
Holley 750 Dual Feed Single Pump Vacuum Secondaries
Stage 2 Torque Flight 727 Manual Valve-body
Custom Headers

I just re-installed the engine and tranny and I had the distributor out.
She did start but runny poorly and now she back fires badly on start up after I tried to re-time her.
I need to know how to install the timing gear cause I do NOT have it in the right position.
If there is something else you need please let me know.

V.R.D

Reaction score
i would read the factory service manual it will walk you thru the repair steps. it is a free down load on this forum.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
I used the timing light then use the vacuum gage to set mine up. Surfed the net on mopar big block. Ended up putting a mark's on a piece of tape on the distributor and one mark on the hold down clamp. Move it ever so slightly using the marks as a guide. Ended up at about 11 degrees before top dead center. Now it run's fine. Each motor depending on cam and fuel set up wants it own sweet spot to be happy.

nevada dan

Reaction score
take number 1 spark plug out, put your finger over the hole bump the starter until the compression blows by your finger then your on compression stroke, put the timing mark about 20 degrees advance , then make your rotor point at number 1 plug wire on the distributor, should fire right up and you can fine tune it from there,

Last edited:
Back