• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pain with Wheels

BBillyC

Reaction score
So I'm going to 15" on the rear. I have Cragar SS 14 x 8 rims with 3.5" back set all around. Seeing that I have mini-tubbed it I need to add 3.5 to the inside because I didn't narrow the differential. I like the cragar but they don't make an SS with a 7" back-set which is what I need. So I am thinking about buying a set of 15 x 8 with the same 3.5" back-set I have now and having a wheel company cut and add 3" to the inside which will give me a 11" rim which would let me put on MT ET drag radials with a 12 inch tread width and a 30" diameter. What are your thoughts???? The cost of each rim would be 259 plus tax and about 100 per wheel to widen it. I can't think of anything that would look good with the cragar ss other than cragar ss

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
i am not crazy about unilug bolt pattern but craigers are a nice looking wheel.....old school look.....$359.00 ouch

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
wheels aren't cheap, but Cragars add so much to the look :thumbsup:

BBillyC

Reaction score
I could narrow the diff myself easily, but I'd have to purchase new axles from Moser or Strange about $500.00. It is an option and would center the wheel better on the axle flange. I guess either way it boils down to $$$ and time.

moparchris

Reaction score
BBillyC said:
I could narrow the diff myself easily, but I'd have to purchase new axles from Moser or Strange about $500.00. It is an option and would center the wheel better on the axle flange. I guess either way it boils down to $$$ and time.

I like the look of the Cragars as well, however I have fallen in love with the Weld Prostar. Its available in 6.5 backspace. I think it would look awesome on your car. :cents: Of course you cant go wrong with Torquethrusts either.

joewhite440

Reaction score
moparchris said:
BBillyC said:

I like the look of the Cragars as well, however I have fallen in love with the Weld Prostar. Its available in 6.5 backspace. I think it would look awesome on your car. :cents: Of course you cant go wrong with Torquethrusts either.

I like the Prostars too. They look good on anything and also make anything look good!

BARRY JACKPOT

Reaction score
Do it properly and shorten the diff, you're just trying to talk yourself into taking the easy option when you know it's not gonna be right. :cents:

BBillyC

Reaction score
George can chime in!! I have selected Mickey Thompson 6642 for tires and the Cragar 61215 which are a 12" rim with 4.5" backset. The tread on the tires is 13" with 29" Diameter. Since car is in storage I wont get to see it for a month...here is where George comes in. He has exactly the same mini tub as me and I believe his holds a 30" diameter with at least a 13" tread....OK George, all yours.

george68hemirr

Reaction score
BBillyC said:
George can chime in!! I have selected Mickey Thompson 6642 for tires and the Cragar 61215 which are a 12" rim with 4.5" backset. The tread on the tires is 13" with 29" Diameter. Since car is in storage I wont get to see it for a month...here is where George comes in. He has exactly the same mini tub as me and I believe his holds a 30" diameter with at least a 13" tread....OK George, all yours.
billy.....heres what i have...draglites 15x12 with a 7.5 backspace with 3 inch wheel studs
tires....mickeythompson sportsman....31x16.50/15....31 diameter/12.2 tread/15.7 section/12-14 rim....very tight and around a 100mph tires grew and did skuff in front of wheelwell
last year i went radial....number 6643...30x12/15....30 diameter/10.2 tread/12.6 section/8-10 rim...plenty of room....hadled great but with all my burnouts they are gone....
new tires this year....M&H drag radials....390/45/15.....29.5 diameter/12.1 tread/14.8 section/12 rim....more traction and may last longer....plus i missed out drag racing at airport last year since alot of guys were running drag radials and all i would do is spin the tires and maybe get beat....1/8 mile

billy you should run this backspacing or your tires will not work :cheers:

george68hemirr

Reaction score
billy....those are weld draglites...part #092790-512354....back in 01 i paid 175.99 each and now only 239.99....i guess gas went up since then :eek:

BBillyC

Reaction score
Thanks George

I just wasn't sure how much I could squeeze in, but the more the better...looking that is. The backspacing doesn't much matter to me as I will narrow the differential to accommodate the wheel. I'm looking for that deep wheel spoke look and the more I narrow the rear end the deeper I can go.. The 6-1/2 backspace you have must have let you run that tire without narrowing the differential. I think you are also running a Dana 60 whereas I have an 8-3/4 with a 489 pumpkin. Thanks again for all the info George....very much appreciated. In about 4 weeks I can pull the bird out of storage and proceed to do all of the finishing touches....except the hemi as I am not retired yet. When Merrill (my wife) talks me into it (retiring that is) that is when I will build the hemi using your parts list. My contract is up December 12, 2012. Man that seems like a long way away.

george68hemirr

Reaction score
BBillyC said:
Thanks George

I just wasn't sure how much I could squeeze in, but the more the better...looking that is. The backspacing doesn't much matter to me as I will narrow the differential to accommodate the wheel. I'm looking for that deep wheel spoke look and the more I narrow the rear end the deeper I can go.. The 6-1/2 backspace you have must have let you run that tire without narrowing the differential. I think you are also running a Dana 60 whereas I have an 8-3/4 with a 489 pumpkin. Thanks again for all the info George....very much appreciated. In about 4 weeks I can pull the bird out of storage and proceed to do all of the finishing touches....except the hemi as I am not retired yet. When Merrill (my wife) talks me into it (retiring that is) that is when I will build the hemi using your parts list. My contract is up December 12, 2012. Man that seems like a long way away.
7.5 backspace.....yes its a stock length dana....didnt narrow it.....i love that deep wheel look but its probably hell on the wheel bearings.....yeah my enclosed trailer is still snowed in where the roadrunner hiding out and 4 weeks looks like she will be sliding out too.....retirement is a great thing....no stress and you will enjoy it :thumbsup:

Back