• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

paint help

generaljmwlee

Reaction score
I am getting ready to paint the hood stripes . I am going with flat black ,but what kind of paint do I use? The car has the base clear paint on now.the paint is flat not satin or is it the same?

generaljmwlee

Reaction score
I kinda followed that thread.I guess my question is
1- is flat the same as satin?
2 - is there a certian kind of paint for the hood ( hot rod black or reg black with flatner in )

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
generaljmwlee said:
I kinda followed that thread.I guess my question is
1- is flat the same as satin?
2 - is there a certian kind of paint for the hood ( hot rod black or reg black with flatner in )
Give Jim S a PM he has a formula

Jim S.

Reaction score
The original stuff was DDL 9355. It is a flat/satin black lacquer with texture in it, almost suede. They really don't make that same formula anymore. Even the stuff from Roger Gibson just does not look quite right. I jumped through a lot of hoops trying to reproduce DDL 9355 Organisol. Here is a link to a photobucket explaining it.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1753

Some guys have had success using a paint called Hot Rod Black.

Also here is the formula I ended up using........

organisol.jpg

generaljmwlee

Reaction score
sounds good do you think it will look dumb if i dont put the texture in it?

Jim S.

Reaction score
generaljmwlee said:
sounds good do you think it will look dumb if i dont put the texture in it?

No, a lot of guys do that and it looks good. The original stuff was textured but, only slightly. It was not like they would pick up lint or anything. I felt mine had a little too much texture in it but, as some of the members said, they did settle and wear down after a few months. I always use vinegar and distilled water mixed 50/50 in a spray bottle to clean bugs, wax, etc off them. I think Pledge works also. I really like they way they look now. Just what I was after in the beginning.....

nicanor

Reaction score
I'm going to use Hot Rod Black. Its more like a matte, not flat not too shinny. The problem they had with the flat was cleaning the car in the area where there was flat black. Either way with the color of your car, the black hood striping will look great.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
I added the stripes to my car last year. The guy who did it used hot rod black. You can see the results in my sig pic and avitar.

Back