• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paint on grill question

ArcDevilz

Reaction score
Can anyone post a few close up pictures of their grill. I need to find out what areas are painted black. The person who restored my RR just polished the entire grill. I need a weekend project .... :cheers: Also is there a specific color I should be using as far as flat black is concerned? Just trying to keep it Mickey Mouse free.

Jim S.

Reaction score
Black is satin/semi gloss. Gray is Mopar dark argent.[attachment=2:sd6c4fxx]69grill.jpg[/attachment:sd6c4fxx][attachment=1:sd6c4fxx]69bezels.jpg[/attachment:sd6c4fxx][attachment=0:sd6c4fxx]looksbestonblue.jpg[/attachment:sd6c4fxx]

ArcDevilz

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Jim so what you are saying is that there are two colors used to paint the grill? I can easily tell where the satin/semi black is but the gray is not as clear. i was able to find a few images on Flickr but it seem like everyone has a different take on these grills.

464363651_57fbe35344_o.jpg
This one looks like there is black on the inside of the smaller frames.

2566782498_6b26cf2495_o.jpg
This one seems to have the same type of theme as the one above.

1121726744_c3998c18ee_o.jpg
This one here seems correct with the gray paint on the inside of the smaller trim detail.

2658376233_9995f15c0b_o.jpg
If you can get past the cute looking girl this one also looks correct.

I am going to photochop and do a step by step write up on the grill resto. Just want to double check the correct way.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
pretty sure Mac did a really nice resto on his grill. He hd some nice pics IIRC.

Collin

Reaction score
Well the two headlights in that picture sure look ok!!

Jim S.

Reaction score
ArcDevilz said:
Thanks guys. Jim so what you are saying is that there are two colors used to paint the grill? I can easily tell where the satin/semi black is but the gray is not as clear. i was able to find a few images on Flickr but it seem like everyone has a different take on these grills.

Yes, dark argent gray on the inside of the headlight bezels, and dark argent gray on the inside of the two center sections.
Guess I should be calling it just Mopar dark argent, not gray. I had a paint shop mix some up for me but, I think Totally Auto sells it. It is a textured gray/silver color.

ArcDevilz

Reaction score
Jim S. said:
Here is the old thread about it.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=615
Thanks for your help Jim. I have tried to find a good source or even a color code for this. I ran across a pissing match on Moparts that would make your head spin because of this color.

My buddy owns a body shop is there a way you can give me a color code? Maybe I can have my dad mix some. he's probably painted 100% of all the mopar dash restos in the last 20 years.
He works at Just Dashes.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
ArcDevilz said:
Jim S. said:

. I ran across a pissing match on Moparts that would make your head spin because of this color.
quote]

ah yes....the 'parts..... :loco:

Jim S.

Reaction score
ArcDevilz said:
Jim S. said:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=615
Thanks for your help Jim. I have tried to find a good source or even a color code for this. I ran across a pissing match on Moparts that would make your head spin because of this color.

My buddy owns a body shop is there a way you can give me a color code? Maybe I can have my dad mix some. he's probably painted 100% of all the mopar dash restos in the last 20 years.
He works at Just Dashes.
There is the problem, no real paint code for the dark argent. Some people say the Totally Auto stuff is too dark, and the real stuff is not made anymore. I brought my bezels (which had enough dark argent left on them), to my auto shop buddy who mixes paint. He nailed it pretty good. How about this. I already painted mine and I have about 1/2 pint left. It is PPG DDL lacquer. You mix it with DTL thinner. 1.5 to 2 parts thinner to 1 part paint. You can use medium lacquer thinner from the hardware store also. Hotter the temp, the more thinner. I'd say, 60 to 80 degrees, use 1.5 to 1, above 80 use 2 to 1. PM me with your address and I will send it to you. I will steal a thimble full so I can get some more mixed up if need be because of course we didn't save the formula. Granted he tweaked it quite a bit, so that probably was not possible. Have your Dad duplicate it. I want 20% of e-bay sales, just kidding. :lol:

Back