• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paint question for the sheet metal just forward of the radia

nicanor

Reaction score
The car is painted all except the sheet metal just forward of the radiator where the hood latch/catch and spring is located and above the grille.

I don't know if that part is painted black or the color of the car, R4. would like to paint it before installing the grille.

Thank you,
Barry

A31PKG

Reaction score
Re: Paint question for the sheet metal just forward of the r

The front cross-piece (I forget the technical term) that the hood latch mounts to is body color. Regarding the core support, lots of discussions on this topic on lots of forums. Basically, a person stood in a pit with a spray gun full of flat black paint and squirted the front of the core support upwards at about a 45 degree angle. This was to prevent body color from showing thru the grille. It was supposedly not done on black or very dark cars. It was a very unscientific application process. The level of coverage and overspray varies from car to car & plant to plant. After obvserving countless original core supports, some have little coverage, some have lots of coverage, and I even saw one where one side was painted and the other was not. Overspray varies from barely making it to the upper support rail to covering most of the forward facing surface. Some paint will make it to the inner fender on some cars, and you wont see it at all on others. Regarding restored or re-painted cars, in cases where owners were not concerned with that type of correctness, I've seen perfectly masked edges with the flat black evenly applied and it looks good. I'll try to re-size some survivor pics and post 'em for you so you can get an idea of how they were originally.

Jim S.

Reaction score

I pretty much duplicated Hemibeep's radiator support blackout. The two blue car pics are his. I have no idea where the green car pic came from.

13.JPG

14.jpg

15.jpg

A31PKG

Reaction score

Here's a few....

blackout (1).jpg

blackout (2).jpg

blackout (3).jpg

Jim S.

Reaction score

Here's mine before and after. The blackout makes a big difference.

blackout aftr.JPG

blackout b4.JPG

Back