• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paint Questions

droptop

Reaction score
I am about ready to paint the dash frame a nice shade of red. Does anyone know the paint code and formula for this? I want to get one kind of paint all at one time to do all of the interior, so I need some recommendations on what kind of paint to use. I want to make sure that every thing is all one color. I will need to paint metal, (dash and inside doors) plastic (interior convt. panels), and vinyl (dash pads and arm rest pads). Is it possible to use one kind of paint for all of these surfaces?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
droptop said:
I am about ready to paint the dash frame a nice shade of red. Does anyone know the paint code and formula for this? I want to get one kind of paint all at one time to do all of the interior, so I need some recommendations on what kind of paint to use. I want to make sure that every thing is all one color. I will need to paint metal, (dash and inside doors) plastic (interior convt. panels), and vinyl (dash pads and arm rest pads). Is it possible to use one kind of paint for all of these surfaces?
Did you strip it or is the suede texture still there? I took mine down to the metal and ordered from a company on the west coast that looked the color up, if you need to go that far! I can get their info if that's what you need :yesnod:

A31PKG

Reaction score
Totally Auto sells all the different flavors & textures...rattle can, or ready to mix.
:thumbsup:

droptop

Reaction score
I had it chemical stripped. Isn't the suede texture just a very dry final coat? I was thinking about a single stage urathane (sp?) Doors would be gloss, and the dash with about 30% flatting agent in it. The plastic panels with about 10% flatting agent. The dash pads and arm rests with 10% flatting agent, and a flex agent. I am trying to stay away from rattle cans, because I don't want every piece of the interior to be a different shade. I bought a reproduction dash pad, and I am planning to use that for a color match.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
droptop said:
I had it chemical stripped. Isn't the suede texture just a very dry final coat? I was thinking about a single stage urathane (sp?) Doors would be gloss, and the dash with about 30% flatting agent in it. The plastic panels with about 10% flatting agent. The dash pads and arm rests with 10% flatting agent, and a flex agent. I am trying to stay away from rattle cans, because I don't want every piece of the interior to be a different shade. I bought a reproduction dash pad, and I am planning to use that for a color match.
No its in the paint, the more you paint the heavier the texture builds up.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
You can try Totally Auto. Or TCP Global phone 858-909-2110 tell them you want restoration shop paint.I told them the make and year model and the suede texture and they looked it up and mixed it I don't know if they will put it into a spray bomb or not :thumbsup:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I bought some paint from Mike Mancini at Instrument Specialties. It was overpriced, but its supposed to be the real deal.

As I understand it, the texture stuff in the paint isn't available anymore. There is supposed to be a powdercoat that comes close. I saw a bunch of references to it on a couple forums but everytime I asked what the powdercoat color/number/whatever was, all I heard were some crickets chirping.

mannye

Reaction score
Big John said:
I bought some paint from Mike Mancini at Instrument Specialties. It was overpriced, but its supposed to be the real deal.

As I understand it, the texture stuff in the paint isn't available anymore. There is supposed to be a powdercoat that comes close. I saw a bunch of references to it on a couple forums but everytime I asked what the powdercoat color/number/whatever was, all I heard were some crickets chirping.

I remember seeing someone online selling organasol paint and all the other original mopar stuff... lemme see if I can find it.

Jim S.

Reaction score
droptop said:
If we are talking about all the interior, plastic, vinyl, and metal, I think urethane is a great choice. Because you want to keep it all the same color, you are on the right track IMO. Only thing I can add is, use bulldog adhesion promoter on the plastic, arm rests and dash pad. Urethane with the flex agent should work fine for them. Flattening agent percentage sounds about right also. Also PPG makes a texture additive DX1999 for urethane. It is a fine white powder. 1/4 to 1/2 oz. per pint. Of course you have to experiment a little to get what you want. Should work out great for the dash. I got a whole bottle of DX1999, I could throw some in a ziplock and mail it to you because I'll never use all of it in a lifetime. Postmaster might think its coming from a "cartel" though. Anyway good luck!! :thumbsup:

A31PKG

Reaction score
It's too bad you're not dealing with black...it's a lot easier to match...A few years back I restored the black dash in my '68 'Bee...I blasted it, primed it, and shot it with 3 rattle cans of organozol black purchased from Totally Auto...It really turned out nice and the texture was real close IMO...I do think the suede texture is probably closer to factory though...I purchased a can of black suede for some touch-up on a few dash pieces from our local arts & crafts store (Michael's). Again, it was black and not too difficult to match. I noticed it came in about 7 or 8 different colors, including a couple shades of red.... From my experience, when it comes to textured finishes, spray bombs - when available - work OK....Gloss is another story when painting larger objects - like upper door frames, etc...

solid gold

Reaction score
Back