• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paint Runners?

railrider

Reaction score
I have about decided on B5 for my Road Runner, but I have noticed many shades out there. I used to work for PPG locally and used to only use PPG. I did a 69 Super Bee using PPG several years ago which looks good but it looks a little lighter to me. I have seen some that look a little darker than others too. I have been spraying Dupont recently and I am considering going with their Chroma Base. Anyone else have a B5 car that might have some input and pictures? :thumbsup:

I love this car!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Yeah Bob's the guy you want to hear from. I've heard that with the change in the paint formulas over the years it's now harder to match the original shades. My car is F5 and who ever painted it got it wrong. I can tell because the trunk is still the original shade. I've talked to several guys with F5 cars and each had said that thay had many problems matching tinoriginal paint shade. One guy said they tried 5 different formulas and even then it was never a perfect match.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I went through exactly what Steve is describing with the F4 on the Swinger a few years ago. It is not a one-for-one conversion. The suggested formula wasn't even close. I had some old DuPont factory pack Centari that we used as the final color matching determinant. We took the BC/CC formulation and just kept tinting it until it looked like the factory pack. Park it next to my '70 F4 Duster that has mostly original paint and they look different. Who is say which one is right? Too many variables. Maybe the guy that painted the Duster was drunk or hung over and used twice the line pressure he needed? No way of knowing...

...and don't forget that you're viewing this color on your computer monitor and one can only guess how many variables that introduces...

Bambi has a couple of spots where the original B5 is not UV-degraded (inside the trunk lid under the jacking instructions for instance) that I intend to use as the "end all" for the color-matching discussion when I get to that point. It may look like a completely different color than Bob's car when finished and side-by-side, but that is what I'm going with... :cents:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
PPG 2019 is what matches the 69-70 B5 with a gray sealer under it . Now you put my car in the shade and it looks just like the one you have above. Here is one under lights and its different again

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
I went through exactly what Steve is describing with the F4 on the Swinger a few years ago. It is not a one-for-one conversion. The suggested formula wasn't even close. I had some old DuPont factory pack Centari that we used as the final color matching determinant. We took the BC/CC formulation and just kept tinting it until it looked like the factory pack. Park it next to my '70 F4 Duster that has mostly original paint and they look different. Who is say which one is right? Too many variables. Maybe the guy that painted the Duster was drunk or hung over and used twice the line pressure he needed? No way of knowing...

...and don't forget that you're viewing this color on your computer monitor and one can only guess how many variables that introduces...

Bambi has a couple of spots where the original B5 is not UV-degraded (inside the trunk lid under the jacking instructions for instance) that I intend to use as the "end all" for the color-matching discussion when I get to that point. It may look like a completely different color than Bob's car when finished and side-by-side, but that is what I'm going with... :cents:
It all depends on light and angle. My old deck lid on the inside has perfect factory paint and side by side it matches the car.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
My old deck lid on the inside has perfect factory paint and side by side it matches the car.

The only way to do it if you're fortunate enough to have some original paint left. :thumbsup:

I wasn't so fortunate on Tam's Swinger... :lol:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
69hemibeep said:
My old deck lid on the inside has perfect factory paint and side by side it matches the car.

The only way to do it if you're fortunate enough to have some original paint left. :thumbsup:

I wasn't so fortunate on Tam's Swinger... :lol:
I think the Swinger looks great for a green car :yesnod:

railrider

Reaction score
I have heard some say the new Challenger B5 is the same color, but I know they use a different number and formula for it. It is also about twice the price of the older B5. I know you can not go be a computer picture either. I just used that car as an example. There is a tint the original B5 has that I really love and I don;t want to lose that. It does have a nice flip when the light/shade hits the paint.

Jim S.

Reaction score
Mine was painted with PPG 2019 also years ago. I have had to do some body work and paint in areas like rear 1/4s, front valance, etc. It took the PPG shop 5 tries to tweak the new DBC paint to get it close enough for me to even attempt to put paint on it and blend it. You know how it goes, same formula but, different gun pressure, different technique, etc. they will come out slightly different. Good choice of color BTW...... :thumbsup:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Jim S. said:
Mine was painted with PPG 2019 also years ago. I have had to do some body work and paint in areas like rear 1/4s, front valance, etc. It took the PPG shop 5 tries to tweak the new DBC paint to get it close enough for me to even attempt to put paint on it and blend it. You know how it goes, same formula but, different gun pressure, different technique, etc. they will come out slightly different. Good choice of color BTW...... :thumbsup:
Jim your absolutely right about how the paint lays down and color change. On the assembly line I heard two guys with two wands for guns had just under a minute to paint these things.

Back