Park/Turn Signal Lights

glhcarl

Reaction score
After seeing all the help A31PKG has given MuscleCar91 I hope I can get some help with my electrical problem:

When I turn on my head lights the parking lights/turn signal lights do not come on. However, the green turn signal lights on the instrument cluster illuminate. When I use the turn signals the light on the instrument panel flashes and the turn signal works as it should. I have tried everything to get a good ground between the housing and bumper an thought I had it fixed a couple of times. But as soon as I get on the road it goes right back the way it was. While it is not a show stopper it is something I would like to fix. Any suggestions?

A31PKG

Reaction score
I appreciate being appreciated! I like to help out when I can...

I'll take a closer look at the circuit later (at work right now). I will say that this does sound like a ground issue... Make sure the sockets are tight in the taillight housings. Give the tabs a little outward bend and re-install...

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
glhcarl said:
After seeing all the help A31PKG has given MuscleCar91 I hope I can get some help with my electrical problem:

When I turn on my head lights the parking lights/turn signal lights do not come on. However, the green turn signal lights on the instrument cluster illuminate. When I use the turn signals the light on the instrument panel flashes and the turn signal works as it should. I have tried everything to get a good ground between the housing and bumper an thought I had it fixed a couple of times. But as soon as I get on the road it goes right back the way it was. While it is not a show stopper it is something I would like to fix. Any suggestions?
Its best not to muddy up the water with 10 guys trying to tell you how to trouble shoot electrical problems, because it needs to be done in steps and A31PKG handled it very well. So I'm going to sit back and watch. In other words I dislike electrical, to many years working on low voltage :lol: :popcorn:

glhcarl

Reaction score
A31PKG said:
I appreciate being appreciated! I like to help out when I can...

I'll take a closer look at the circuit later (at work right now). I will say that this does sound like a ground issue... Make sure the sockets are tight in the taillight housings. Give the tabs a little outward bend and re-install...
I guess I wasn't to clear, its the front parking lights/turn signals that don't illuminate. I know it a ground problem but can't figure out where the actual ground is.

A31PKG

Reaction score
The front lighting harness grounds are on the upper core support rail. Make sure your steering column ground wire is present and tight too. I mentioned the tail light grounds because it's a common problem that can affect turn signal operation....may not have applied to this case, but I wanted to mention it nonetheless....

glhcarl

Reaction score
OK! Here is what I have. There are four screws in each light. Two attach the lens to the housing and two attach the housing to the bumper. Taking a jumper from any of the four screws to the bumper makes everything work correctly. If I gound any of the screws that attach the parking light/turn signal assembly to the bumper, everything works correctly. So I guess I have to ground the housing to the bumper.

Does this sound right?

A31PKG

Reaction score
Sounds like you got it. I would say that with 34 years in the business, grounds - or lack thereof - are the #1 source of most electrical issues...and the symptoms are the toughest to sort out, but with the easiest cause...bad wire, loose bolt, loose connection, paint preventing proper contact with metal, etc, etc.... Good luck with it!

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I had the same thing with the yellow car when I fist got it. the four bumbper brackets to frame bolts were loose.

Back