• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Parking Brake Issue

dobie

Reaction score
Got the x's Satellite running tonight. After a year of sitting, she fired up pretty easy. Went to pull it out of the garage but she was stuck. After a few tries she finally broke free. I ended up taking it around the block (or 3) and when I pulled back into the driveway I coulda swore I saw smoke. Sure enough, the right rear wheel was fairly hot and smoking. It seems the parking brake didn't quite release. Odd though that I didn't notice anything driving it. Brakes never pulled, no weird noises, and seemed to pull away from a stop normal as always.

I'm gonna pull the wheel off tomorrow night and look around. According to the shop book there's just a small lever on the back portion of the drum. I'm hoping its something simple...Any ideas or previous experience?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Got the x's Satellite running tonight. After a year of sitting, she fired up pretty easy. Went to pull it out of the garage but she was stuck. After a few tries she finally broke free. I ended up taking it around the block (or 3) and when I pulled back into the driveway I coulda swore I saw smoke. Sure enough, the right rear wheel was fairly hot and smoking. It seems the parking brake didn't quite release. Odd though that I didn't notice anything driving it. Brakes never pulled, no weird noises, and seemed to pull away from a stop normal as always.

I'm gonna pull the wheel off tomorrow night and look around. According to the shop book there's just a small lever on the back portion of the drum. I'm hoping its something simple...Any ideas or previous experience?

Might have a rusty cable to that side

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
More likely it's the rear cable.

If the cable has a woven steel casing, spray the length of it with penetrating oil. Sometimes that will free it up. If it's got a plastic casing, you can try spraying some into the and work it a bit to get it to free up.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
If the cable is stuck, I've had some luck with hitting it with the panther piss(works better if you can hang the cable so the oli will run the length) and after a while working the cable with a drill. Hafta go with the way the cable is wound.

Back