• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Performer RPM intake- hood clearance question

Moparnut

Reaction score
I have a '68 Roadrunner with an aftermarket 6 pack hood on it. The motor is a 440 with an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake and carb. I'm considering putting the stock steel hood back on. My question is: will the intake/carb combo fit with a stock air cleaner under the stock hood? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

moparchris

Reaction score
There is another thread here on this very subject. Kinda up in the air if it will. Put it on and let us know! :lol:

mcmopar

Reaction score
I have to use a drop base air cleaner with my Edelbrock Performer RPM/Holley 750 combo - and its a 383. The 440 block is 3/4" taller than the 383 block so unless the Performer 440 RPM intake is a bit shorter than the 383 model you will most likely not be able to use the standard air cleaner.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Moparnut said:
I have a '68 Roadrunner with an aftermarket 6 pack hood on it. The motor is a 440 with an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake and carb. I'm considering putting the stock steel hood back on. My question is: will the intake/carb combo fit with a stock air cleaner under the stock hood? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Welcome... Bounce over to the Introductions Section and tell us about yourself and the car...

moparchris

Reaction score
mcmopar said:
I have to use a drop base air cleaner with my Edelbrock Performer RPM/Holley 750 combo - and its a 383. The 440 block is 3/4" taller than the 383 block so unless the Performer 440 RPM intake is a bit shorter than the 383 model you will most likely not be able to use the standard air cleaner.

My 68 had a factory unsilenced air cleaner with a 750 holley and a Performer RPM and it didnt even rub the hood pad. This pic was taken right before I added a hood pad.

mcmopar

Reaction score
Was that a 383? If so I'd say that's a nice fit. The problem is he has a 440 and since the engine itself is 3/4" taller than the 383 I'm betting there is going to be a problem with hood clearance. Just my :cents: I guess the only way to find out is to slap it together and do some modeling clay clearance tests. Hopefully it will work.

Moparnut

Reaction score
I was hoping to get some input before I move ahead with this, I guess I'll go for it and if I have to use a different air cleaner I will. I'll post some pics this weekend.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
welcome to the site Moparnut. Just to show you how welcome you '68 guys are.....I'll swing by and take that 6 PAK hood off your hands..... :D

Moparnut

Reaction score
The six pack hood will be up for grabs when the steel hood goes on.... I'm near Buffalo NY if you're really interested!

coyotekiller

Reaction score
I have a dimple in my hood from that set up and it. I have since put a six pack hood on my car

mac

What ?
Reaction score
Moparnut said:
The six pack hood will be up for grabs when the steel hood goes on.... I'm near Buffalo NY if you're really interested!

they are to far away. i am right here in lancaster ny. i'll take that hood when your done. :leave:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
mac said:
Moparnut said:

they are to far away. i am right here in lancaster ny. i'll take that hood when your done. :leave:

well.....Ohio isn't THAT far away....hey wait a minute! :basketcase: you already have one!
I'd have to run it past the family finacial officer, but depending on your asking...........

Moparnut

Reaction score
I'll sell the brackets for the rear hood pins as well. I'll post pics this weekend for sure.

Moparnut

Reaction score
mac said:
Moparnut said:

I'm in Holland, not far at all!

mcmopar

Reaction score
Mac, you've already got a 6 BBL hood - its time to let one of us poor slobs have one. :jester:

Moparnut

Reaction score
I dropped the hood off today to be media blasted, when it's done it'll go to the paint shop to get prepped. I expect to have to hood on in a couple of weeks! I'll post pics when something good happens.

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
I've got a 383 with a torker intake and an air grabber breather.....It is rubbing the hood..... :eek: I took the air grabber off of my hood just to get the hood to shut........

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
I've got a 383 with a torker intake and an air grabber breather.....It is rubbing the hood..... :eek: I took the air grabber off of my hood just to get the hood to shut........

sounds like you have the 383 base, the 440 base is a tad shorter. Just send that air grabber east to Ohio and let me have the worry.... :jester:

Back