• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Photo Please

BBillyC

Reaction score
I've looked and looked on the net to try to find a photo of the area where the front of the door lines up with the front fender and where the post joins up. There was some body work done on mine and I think it is out of line. If someone would bother and have a 69 that is untoughed in this area, a good photo or two of the area will help me make sure that I align the frend/door to the cowl and post. Thanks everyone.

BBillyC

Reaction score
Those are excellent. The problem with my car is that when the door is aligned so that it balances with the door opening the distance between the top of the door and the top of the cowl where the bead bends over is about 1/2 to 3/4 inches. There was some serious leading done in the area and who ever did it seemed to have just rounded it off to look pretty. Looks like I'll have to take that area down to the height of the door. Actually I will take a couple of photos and attach them to the next reply so that you can offer me some advice. Thanks again for your efforts. Bill

BBillyC

Reaction score
Some Photos of why I ask.. One photo shows the passenger side how the three areas line up and I think you'll agree they're way out of wack. The other two are photos of the drivers side which was completely rusted out and the car had been hit in that area with something like a pipe or something. It was filled with lead but completely rusted out underneath the lead. You can see a hole where the post meets the cowl so the repair had to fix the post as well. Now it just has to be dressed and filled but it will work out well. BTW TIGing old metal to new is not fun I ran at 23 amps tops.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Believe it or not that is a more typical factory fit, most bodymen improve on it when they redo these cars!

BBillyC

Reaction score
I would have never guessed that one. There is a ton of lead in the areas, which I thought was applied by a bodyman to repair some damage. The drivers side right at the post was clobbered by something which caved the cowl down about a half inch or so. Had to cut out the rusted top layer of sheet and then pull up the underlying steel weld that up and then weld new sheet sections into it. The repair not perfect but a little filler will make it ok. Thanks for the help. bill

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
yeah '60s Chrysler Quialty Control(paint runs,body alinment) was not know for being too steller.It'll drive you to :brickwall: if you want it too perfect.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
I have to say that after looking at the conditons some of these cars were in before their restorations, I feel so lucky to have found a car, well, both cars accually, that, I've been told at least, are virtually rust free. I don't know if I'd have the patience to wait through having the work done. In the end, for me at least, it was much less expensive buying my cars already restored, instead of restoring one myself.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
In the end, for me at least, it was much less expensive buying my cars already restored, instead of restoring one myself.

It usually is... :lol:

Certainly a shorter time frame for completion - zero versus months or years... IMHO the only tangible upsides to going through the restoration process yourself is the knowledge that it was done correctly (i.e. there's nothing hiding under that shiny, new paint that is going to cause you to have to redo it 6-24-48 months down the road) and the satisfaction that comes from doing it yourself. Except for highly collectible cars I think it is almost always cheaper to buy one already finished. For me personally I have never bought a "done" car because I enjoy the construction process as much as I enjoy driving them after they're finished. I don't have the time anymore to do paint and bodywork (and I can't do it as well as I like for it to be done despite a year and a half of Technical College after high school to learn the trade - just wasn't meant to be I guess... :D ) so I farm this out - which may end up being faster anyway than me tinkering on those rare evenings and weekends when other responsibilities aren't getting in the way... And since there are four projects lined up (including Bambi) waiting for attention after I finish the Malibu, that's my story and I'm sticking to it...

:jester:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
I have to say that after looking at the conditons some of these cars were in before their restorations, I feel so lucky to have found a car, well, both cars accually, that, I've been told at least, are virtually rust free. I don't know if I'd have the patience to wait through having the work done. In the end, for me at least, it was much less expensive buying my cars already restored, instead of restoring one myself.
I couldnt afford a finished Hemi car :lol:

6t9runner440

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Believe it or not that is a more typical factory fit, most bodymen improve on it when they redo these cars!

just for the record...that was one of the few places on that car that did not need repair...The posts were good too....the problem i had with the doors was the hinges...once they were replaced the doors opened and closed perfectly

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
6t9runner440 said:
just for the record...that was one of the few places on that car that did not need repair...The posts were good too....the problem i had with the doors was the hinges...once they were replaced the doors opened and closed perfectly

...I love it when a plan comes together... :thumbsup:

:jester:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
69hemibeep said:

I can relate; why do you think I bought an A12 in primer...??? :lol:
Well, I couldn't afford a Hemi car in any condition. I was just lucky to be able to get what I have.

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
ACME A12 said:
69hemibeep said:

Well, I couldn't afford a Hemi car in any condition. I was just lucky to be able to get what I have.
We all knew that when we realized your car wasn't Blue, Red or Yellow........... :lol:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
ACME A12 said:
69hemibeep said:

We all knew that when we realized your car wasn't Blue, Red or Yellow........... :lol:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
OOPS, if I keep double posting I may catch up with the post whore........... :lmao:
You know what Dave is going to do :toetap: :toetap: :toetap: :lol:

Back