• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pics of my old vert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

moparstuart

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
moparstuart said:
]:toetap: :toetap: :toetap: :toetap: :toetap: :toetap: :toetap: :toetap: :toetap:

thats why i like you ray , you alway seem to brighten my day :jester: :jester: :jester: RED RED RED FOR 69 GREEN FOR 70 and never PINK :acme:

Glad you got a chuckle out of that... :D

Now send me your address so I can send you a quart of "Hot Pink" paint for Christmas.... :acme:

:jester:[/quote]
My wife really wants here daytona clone ( my never ending project) painted FM3 ( not quit hot pink ) Its already viper red and i told her if she was paying to have it re-painted that was ok .

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
moparstuart said:
I Imagine her daytona will stay viper red

here is my beat up real daytona nose i just bought for it , I already have a vega hatch and an aluminum wing for it.

That will be cool. :thumbsup:

I first read about using a Vega hatch as a window plug for a Daytona Clone when the Joe Dirt car was making the rounds. Pretty neat that somebody figured that little trick out...

:jester:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
moparstuart said:

here is my beat up real daytona nose i just bought for it , I already have a vega hatch and an aluminum wing for it.

I first read about using a Vega hatch as a window plug for a Daytona Clone when the Joe Dirt car was making the rounds. Pretty neat that somebody figured that little trick out...

I never heard of a Vega hatch being used, is it pretty close?

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
ACME A12 said:
moparstuart said:

I never heard of a Vega hatch being used, is it pretty close?

According to the article that I read it was very close. As Stu-Rat is our resident aero-car expert we'll have to get his opinion to put this one to bed...

moparstuart

Reaction score
it not perfect but unless you have it side by side with a real daytona you would not know the difference .
the best deal about it is it save you tones money and is very very close .

you can find vega hatches for about $100.00 buck , you must get a rust free one with no scatches in the glass a good molding though .

The real steel plug runs 3000.00 or so , real glass 1500.00 , correct molding 3-4 grand for the real ones , no one repops them but you might be able to make something similar out of two full sets of regular charger molding .

THey work out great .

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
At least something good came out of the Vega

Yep. I was thinking the same thing...

You almost never see them anymore. Seems kinda funny because when you think back to the late seventies and early eighties - they were freakin' EVERYWHERE. Even V8 powered ones were all over the place... If you see one at a show or at the track today it's quite the rarity... Same for Pintos...although I never recall seeing that many of them that were converted to V8 power...

droptop

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:

The only Vega that was any good at all was the Cosworth Vega. Those little Indy motors screamed, but the rest of the car was junk.

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
I'd love to build a v8 vega.......a buddy of mine had 1 when we were in high school......fastest car in school and since it wasn't done right it was also the most dangerous.....had to help him untwist it several times..... :lol:

glhcarl

Reaction score
droptop said:
69hemibeep said:

The only Vega that was any good at all was the Cosworth Vega. Those little Indy motors screamed, but the rest of the car was junk.
I had an 82 Vega, silver GT cam back (station wagon), neat looking little car. I took real good care of it, followed all the maintenance requirements and after 40,000 mile it only burned a quart of oil every 80 miles.

I remember helping a firend remove and replace his Vega's 4 speed transmission, it weighted like 25 lbs.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
THe F body GM cars had a Vega based axle in that last generation. Kinda scary since they had some power going through them

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
My brother had a bunch of Vegas. He lives near Dallas, Tx. He would buy them with a bad engine for next to nothing and fix them and drive them for a while. He had the whole deal worked out, had a cheap place to sleeve the block and bought the engine kits. His kids drove Vegas, his wife had a Vega and he had an old Ford truck with 500K miles on it.

You remember the movie "Falling Down" with Michael Douglas? Well... My brother looks just like the main character... He's an engineer for a defense contractor too....

mcmopar

Reaction score
My best friend up in Indiana back in '78 scored a 5 speed '76 Vega station wagon from some old couple for $2000. He was leery of it until he learned it had the Pontiac Iron Duke 4 cylinder engine in it. Chevy learned their lesson by '76 and started installing the cast iron Pontiac 4 banger. It was a fine little car.
I had another buddy that had a black 5 speed Cosworth Vega. It was a very nice car and would really run. It eventually developed problems so he sold it to my dad who proceded to fix the problem and drive the snot out of it. It was a tight little package and could really scoot.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
This Vega stuff reminds me of the Chevette racing that got big here about 10 years ago.

People were inserting dimes into the stock lifters to make them a solid lifter cam rig.

The little Shove-Its got pretty spendy I thought for what they were because of the racing.

V269

Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
I had a chevette......... :lmao: What a piece of crap..............
That's the same thing as saying " I got a bag of rocks " at Halloween time. :lmao: :lmao: :beep:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
The Chevettes didn't last very long around here. They rotted pretty bad and fell apart. I can't remember the last one I saw in this area.

Back