• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pilot Bushing

Terry Hauck

Choadicus
Reaction score
Hi. I'm back. 69 383 4 speed pilot bushing wont go in easily. I cleaned out the old bushing and bought a new one from 440 Source. It's too large for the crank to just tap in. Are all 383 cranks the same? I do not think this is a real roadrunner engine.

Last edited:

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Have heard this a couple of time's. Just might have to have it turned down. Some one else may have a better answer.

droptop

Reaction score
I do believe the automatic crank shafts had a smaller diameter hole for the bushing. There are different size bushings. Mic the hole and contact Brewers Transmissions. They should be able to get you a bushing you need.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
If it had one before put the new one in the freezer first. If that doesn't work classic is selling another sub standard product get one from Brewers

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If it had one before put the new one in the freezer first.
I did that when I was assembling the engine/transmission on Bambi...only to find then that the input shaft would no longer slide into the pilot bushing. So then I had to open up the pilot bushing with emery cloth. Total pain in the ass. I'll never do that again...and you can bet your bottom dollar that bushing is never coming back out of that crankshaft willingly...

Terry Hauck

Choadicus
Reaction score
If it had one before put the new one in the freezer first. If that doesn't work classic is selling another sub standard product get one from Brewers
I had a problem with new motor mounts too. The nut attached to the mount is welded on a bit lower than to originals and when bolted in it doesn't fit flat on the perch. I looked thru my receipts and noticed that the bushing and the mounts both came from 440 Source. Didn't want to accuse Classic Ind. when it wasn't them. Sorry.

Terry Hauck

Choadicus
Reaction score
I called Brewer Performance and they suggested a PB-5300 roller bearing adapter. $26 including shipping. Got one on the way. Thanks for all the inputs. Will advise.

Terry Hauck

Choadicus
Reaction score
Thanks. It is exactly like the one I got from Brewers. Guess they get them from Chrysler Corp?

Last edited:
Back