• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pinion Bearing Replacement

dobie

Reaction score
A few years ago while my RR was getting the motor work done, the shop owner said that in his opinion the pinion bearing was starting to go bad. His recommendation was to have me come back whenever I started to drive the car constantly. Well, i guess that time is finally here.

So, how expensive is this if I have a shop do it? I know nothing about this stuff, and Id feel better having it done right knowing that things are set up properly.

Any thoughts?

:cheers:

sixgunrunner68

Reaction score
He'll have to tear down the whole diff to change the pinion bearings then reset the drag, lash and pattern. You'd probably want to consider a complete bearing and seal kit while you're there. In any event I'd say about three hundred in labor give or take.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
:yeathat: Make sure he is equipped to do it or go to a differential shop.Do you know what case your 8 3/4 has? A 489 will have a crush sleeve that can be replaced with a spacer that Dr. Diff sells.

dobie

Reaction score
Ok. Thats what I was thinking too. In the end Im sure it'll be closer to $500 or so.

I dont know what case I have. Im not sure how to tell either.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
There should be a number cast in case. It's on the side of the pinion part of the case and IIRC it's on both sides.

dobie

Reaction score
OK. Thanks for the information. I'll have to look next time I'm underneath it.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
There should be a number cast in case. It's on the side of the pinion part of the case and IIRC it's on both sides.
a part number ending in 741, 742 or 489 the all have different pinion designs also

dobie

Reaction score
I got underneath her today, and mine is a 489 case.

So I just did a very quick web search, and it appears that the 489 case was introduced in 1969....So, it appears to be not original to my bird. It does seem though that the 489 case is slightly preferred, correct?

dobie

Reaction score
Ahh.... I see. So what do I have then in terms of the Sure Grip? I know there's a clutch and a cone type...??

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
dobie said:
Ahh.... I see. So what do I have then in terms of the Sure Grip? I know there's a clutch and a cone type...??

Should be the cone type.

It can be rebuilt despite a lot of what you will read that states that it cannot.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
dobie said:

Should be the cone type.

It can be rebuilt despite a lot of what you will read that states that it cannot.
It takes a little machine work.

Back