• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pistons

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Got my pistons, KB 400-30. I need to full float my rod. Here's my question: Everything that I have read says drill the oil hole in the top of an I-Beam rod and on an H-Beam you put two holes at 45 degrees coming up from the sides. My buddy tells me his engine builder says to do the latter on all rods. What do you guys think? :huh:

A12

Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
Where are all the brainiacs at? :lol:

If I get a chance I'll pull out a set of 440 rods that got floated by Koffel's Place and see what they did as far as lubrication holes.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
Everything that I have read says drill the oil hole in the top of an I-Beam rod and on an H-Beam you put two holes at 45 degrees coming up from the sides.

I just looked at my new K1 Technology H-Beams intended for Bambi's new heart. Two holes at 45 degrees just as you stated.

Looked at two sets of stock I-Beam rods bushed for full floating set-up. Single oil holes are located in the tops of the rods.

All three sets are exactly as you described in the initial post quoted above. So we now know exactly what my Machinist Jack thinks is the correct location...and he hasn't let me down once in 28 years...

:jester:
ACME

Back