• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pitman Arm? Quick ratio or Standard

SgtLee511

Reaction score
I have purchased most of my steering and suspension pieces, I have not as yet decided on the pitman arm. I have manual steering and was wondering if the quick ratio arm would improve the manual steering, or would it be just as good to use the standard arm. Im keeping the original steering box. Do yall have any experience with those arms on the car. Quite a bit more MooLah for that quicker arm.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
No experience but it seems to me the smaller the ratio the harder to turn.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Never used the quicker arm, but I drove a lot of miles with the armstrong steering.

IMHO, the steering effort is high enough in parking situations with the standard steering arm to make me stay away from the shorter one.

If you really want a faster steering ratio, consider converting to power steering.

SgtLee511

Reaction score
Thanks with those two answers I will probably stick with the standard arm, my mind had it backwards, I was thinking that the less turns of the wheel, the easier it would be to turn while parking. I had the manual steering on an A body, it wasn't an issue for me, but you dont know unless you ask.

Mopar Vince

Reaction score
I made this mistake on a manual car once and although at speed it was very stable; parking at slow speed was a workout.
Stick with stock.

Coyote

Reaction score
I Received a Pros Advice

I have manual steering on my '66. I have a manual R&P on my '55 Chevy autoxer (sbc, lighter car, works great). I thought that the quicker arm would help on the '66. I received what I consider a golden tip from the gents at Steer & Gear. I was advised that almost ALL of the quicker arms they sell are later replaced due to what many might consider excessive efort. I took the advice! Mine is still stock.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I like the manual steering on mine. I do shy away from parallel parking. but even with power steering, I'll go for a two spot place so I can just pull in.I'm either in my '91 W250, or the Boss's Journey (full of blind spots) or the road runner. the only thing we have that is easy to parallel park is her Karmann Ghia.

Back