• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please help decode fender tag

RoadRunnerJD

Reaction score
E63 383
D21 4 speed
RM23H RoadRunner hardtop H designates 383 E designates plant code but it should be probably a G for St Louis plant code
17 ?? Probably 99...must be a pretty rusty tag?
99 Rallye Green paint code
H2X X9 Deluxe black bench seat interior with black painted upper door panels
A10--->are you sure it's not A01 Light package with fender turn signals, map light, ignition delay light, glove box and trunk light?
A36 3.55 sure grip with Hemi leaf springs and suspension, 26" radiator, torque drive fan/fan shroud
M21 Roof drip rail moldings
R11 AM Radio
V1X black Vinyl Roof
Y14 Sold car
26 26" radiator opening

Last edited:

Trev3434

Reaction score
That's pretty close to what I got

Roadrunner

VIN RM23H9E113148

Body type: R = Roadrunner
Price class: M = Medium
Body Type: 23 = 2 Door Hardtop
Engine: H = 383/335HP 1-4BBL 8CYL
Year: 9 = 1969
Sequence Number: 113148th Vehicle Built

Fender tag
A36 M21 R11 V1X Y14 26
17 99 H2X X9 A10 925243
E63 D21 RM23 H9E 113148

A36 - 8 3/4 high-performance axle package, with 3.55 sure grip maximum cooling seven blade fan, hemi suspension
M21 - roof drip rail molding
R11 - AM radio (2 watts)
V1X - Full Vinyl Top Black
Y14 - sold car 69-71
26 - 26" radiator

17 - ? I was thinking possibly cigar lighter. Lamp?
99 - special order
H2X - High Grade Interior, Vinyl Bench, Black
X9 - ?Black painted upper door panels?
Or ?special order?
A10 - October 10, 1968 Date build
925243 - vehicle order number

E63 - 383 CID 4barrel V8 HP 335
D21 - Heavy Duty 4-Speed Manual Transmission A833
RM23 - Roadrunner, Medium price range, 2 door hardtop
H9E - 383/335 hp 4bbl V8, 1969, Los Angeles CA
113148 - VIN Sequence number

So not 100% sure what the 17 Means? Think it's Cigar Lighter. Lamp? If anyone can verify that, would be awesome!

The 99 special order? I know that this car was a dealer ordered car. As far as the color, does anyone know what the color was called before The special ordered color Vitamin C - code 999 came out in February 1969. Car is orange and think it could of either been, Go Mango, or Omaha Orange. Limited cars were painted this color.

RoadRunnerJD

Reaction score
I haven't decoded a fender tag for some time. You're correct about the A10 being the scheduled production date (SPD). The first and second numbers on the second line are the body and roof color, I'm pretty certain they should be both 99 and 99 is Rallye green but I think it was also the same code for Bahamas yellow? Code 99 was a limited production color as far as I know? X9 is definitely the code for black painted upper door frames which mans the interior exposed metal parts of the doors and the metal panel below the rear 1/4 glass is painted an interior gloss black.

Last edited:

Trev3434

Reaction score
Yeah this definitely is interesting. This car has always been Orange. I'm gonna go with the 99 means special order that or dealership ordered. 17 ? I guess there is no way to tell with out the broadcast sheet?

Any idea what it means on the PPG color chart where it says:
FOR SPECIAL COLORS (CODED 999)
FURNISH SPECIAL ORDER (SO) NUM-
BER AND SELLING DEALER WITH
SERIAL NUMBER OF CAR.

Last edited:

RoadRunnerJD

Reaction score
I have a friend with an Omaha Orange Runner. His tag says 99 99 on the second line. 17 is not a good number. It should be a paint code. Photo link attached below.

image.jpg

Last edited:

Trev3434

Reaction score
Huh... Yeah That is interesting! Thanks for posting that. Did your friend paint his Omaha orange roadrunner blue? Attached in my first post is a pic of the tag... I Guess they meant to put a 99 in place of the 17! Weird huh?

Reaction score
Your car was assembled in Los Angeles. Those LA fender tags have their own characteristics. I've seen them with a different font as well. They are the only assembly line that I can think of that has two distinct fender tags for the same model year.

The 99 code for special order paint. In 1969 Omaha Orange was a popular special order colour. But a 99 code could mean any colour a customer specified and production accepted.

I don't know LA tags well enough to comment on the 17. I do have some questions.

-is your car painted one colour?
-does your car have any evidence of 3 holes where stainless trim would be between the quarter windows and rear window?
-have you ever had the interior out?

My questions are to see if it could have been a two tone car.

To help with this mystery we need to find other Omaha Orange LA built 1969 Road Runners.

Pretty cool topic, thank you for sharing your fender tag.

Dave

Trev3434

Reaction score
Yeah sure no problem Dave. I agree as well. It is very interesting especially since I'm finding out the rarity of my car and how original a lot of it is. So the answers to your questions, yes this car is painted one single color with the black vynal top. Seems rare to find this combo with no stripes. As far as evidence of three holes??? I'm going to check but not fully understanding what you mean? On the interior? Had the interior out... No not me personally, I have done a dash pad and in order to do that you have to take everything out under the dash to get to the nuts. The back seat has been redone not the butt part but the back part, and the front seat has been redone. Inside the engine compartment is original paint. Also inside the trunk, the wheel wells is original paint. I have pictures of it from the original owner, and the third owner. I am the 5th or 6th. I have heard a lot of people talk about Omaha Orange. However, recently at a car show had met a guy who's sister was the second owner of this car and knows the first owner too. Met him the same day. So the guy who's sister was the seconded owner had reference the color Go Mango. The 1st owner bought it off the show room floor from Berkley Dodge in Albany, CA which the dealership is no longer there I don't think. That tells me this was a Dealership ordered car. So Omaha Orange is that a Plymouth color? Because when I go in the PPG catalog I see no Omaha orange unless it's from another make? The 999 Orange does not match my car.

RoadRunnerJD

Reaction score
Dave owns the Omaha orange Runner whose tag I posted. Glad you're on here Dave...wish I had a RoadRunner!

Trev3434

Reaction score
Picture of car yesterday. That color is closer to vitamin C. It has been repainted. The color inside the engine compartment doesn't really match the body however it is close, and it is 46 years old

image.jpg

image.jpg

Reaction score
Sorry I was tired last night...I forgot your car had a vinyl roof lol Please forget about the 3 hole question.
The colours on those old chip charts are tough to go by Omaha Orange is a really bright solid colour, EK2 is pretty similar but not quite the same and in 1970 you could also get EV2, yet another bright orange. Both EK2 and EV2 both have some metallic in them while Omaha Orange does not.

Here's a pic of my car and a TSB.

Dave

runner103.jpg

7573428-TSB-omahaorange (1).jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
I emailed Dan a link to this thread. He has been tracking these cars for awhile now and is very knowledgeable. This is what he wrote me back:

Hello Dave,
I've got info on 23 LA built "99" Road Runners that are either "Omaha orange" (a fleet color that dates back to at least the '50s, Michigan & others used it on their DOT vehicles, think safety orange) or "rallye green metallic". The earliest two (both A10), including this one do not have Y39 - the rest do. The vehicle order numbers for these are all 925xxx, 926xxx, 927xxx. I suspect there were hundreds of these "99" Road Runners built, most for California. The "16" (A23 - SPD) & "17" (A10 - SPD) still remain a mystery, but they may have identified the color - it would be nice to know the original color of the "16" car?

feel free to post this over at 69roadrunner - later, Dan "6bblgt"

Back