• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Plymouth deck lid emblem

3BIRDS1X

Staff member
Reaction score
The Plymouth deck lid emblem, I'm not a big fan of them and rarely see them up here. I don't know if it is an early year thing or a Plant thing but I've always wondered. I don't ever see them in Wisconsin, but I have a California trunk lid and a Texas lid that have them, my Arizona coupe does not have one in fact none of mine have them. The Texas lid looks like it was a stick on emblem too. Question is who has a theory on where and when they came on the cars? I've always wondered.

ply2.jpg

ply1.jpg

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I would say both of those originally came from a Satellite GTX or Belvedere, not a runner

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Yep, that deck lid didn't come off a Roadrunner. The holes for the garnish panel give that away.

A31PKG

Reaction score
Rich, My car had the emblem on the left side of the deck lid. I always wondered why... after looking closely at the inside of the lid, I noticed a couple of holes that did not match up to the emblem pins. Closer inspection revealed that the holes were actually there for the emblem/logo of the original selling dealer. When the car was DX'd (dealer exchanged) to the final selling dealer, rather than weld the holes shut & re-paint the deck lid, they removed it and covered the holes with a "PLYMOUTH" emblem! I guess the final selling dealer's emblem was not big enough to cover the holes, so they just used a Plymouth emblem instead! It's funny how back then not all dealer emblems were stick-on affairs. Many were installed similar to factory emblems with studs and speed nuts. I agree that the other holes in your picture suggest that it had a trim panel, thus not a Road Runner deck lid. The stick-on emblem is interesting, though. I thought they all were the stud type? Maybe the trim holes were added to a replacement Belvedere/Runner lid and they (body shop or whomever) only had an emblem with broken pins and decided to glue it on?

3BIRDS1X

Staff member
Reaction score
Something I've noticed and have been curious about as once in a while you do see them. Although I have seen them more often on some GTX's than road runners but they are out there. You guys crack me up on the deck lids, yeah I'm very well aware of what model cars they are from, they are just to show the emblem and location I'm talking about. :cheers:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
3BIRDS1X said:
Something I've noticed and have been curious about as once in a while you do see them. Although I have seen them more often on some GTX's than road runners but they are out there. You guys crack me up on the deck lids, yeah I'm very well aware of what model cars they are from, they are just to show the emblem and location I'm talking about. :cheers:
Rich I know your very knowledgeable on these cars, I made the mistake of assuming Roadrunner instead of Plymouth and my fingers got to blabbing :jester:

Back