• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Polishing glass- is it really that hard?

6R9Runner

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience (success/ failure) polishing out scratches in glass, such as the ones from windshield wipers, or the up-down marks left on the side glass from dried-out cat whiskers? They are faint, but my local glass place does not even want to touch them, and they have been around for many years.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
6R9Runner said:
Does anyone have experience (success/ failure) polishing out scratches in glass, such as the ones from windshield wipers, or the up-down marks left on the side glass from dried-out cat whiskers? They are faint, but my local glass place does not even want to touch them, and they have been around for many years.
I have a neighbor in the business he makes his money doing residential and business buildings. Instead of replacing windows its sometimes cheaper to polish them out especially on new homes. House glass is very soft compared to auto glass but he managed to clean some of mine up and also a windshield of a friend, mind you he worked hard at it with professional equipment. Rule of thumb, if you can hook a fingernail in it, its to deep.

BBillyC

Reaction score
You'll laugh but when I was doing my color sanding and polishing I thought I might try cleaning up the back window as it was really scratched up. I used the same process as I did on the paint started with McGuires fine cut and then went to metal glaze. I thought the heavy cut would have been too harsh but it probably would have worked. Really cleaned it up great but couldn't get rid of a couple of really deep scratches where some bozo didn't know how to take the moldings off. I have to admit how well it worked...and maybe I just got lucky.

amike95

Reaction score
I bought one of the kits from Eastwood but haven't used it yet.

Jim S.

Reaction score
I was considering doing what Billy did also. Maybe even starting with 2000 wet then break out the buffer. Might experiment on the Ford winter beater first. Some posts I've read say overdoing it will distort the glass and make a guy dizzy looking through it.......

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Jim S. said:
I was considering doing what Billy did also. Maybe even starting with 2000 wet then break out the buffer. Might experiment on the Ford winter beater first. Some posts I've read say overdoing it will distort the glass and make a guy dizzy looking through it.......
It might be just that easy :popcorn:

Back