• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Politics

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I'm considering adding a political section to the Off Topic section.

Let's start out by saying that one of the things that a lot of car forums stay away from is politics. The mention of it and the mods start heading for the lock button.

I like to think we are a little different here, well, OK, a lot different... But that's another story.. With the political climate these days its hard to avoid talking politics and the Pits has had a few threads and posts about what is going on in the country.

Of course it would have to be kept civil and everyone has to understand that there are times that some of us may just have to agree to disagree.

So what do you guys think?

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
sounds good to me Big. We all seem to be Big Boys here, and don't let things get under our skin too much. But politics can be like gas on a fire at times. Having that in a seperate spot would make it easy to just avoid things if the user doesn't want to be involved in.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Good idea John. If it is opinion based Its great, but if your going to post something you found on the net at least run it through Snopes to see if its real. You wouldnt believe the slanderous crap I get that isnt true. If its funny put in the Joke section. :beep:

3BIRDS1X

Staff member
Reaction score
Couldn't hurt as things get bigger then it's more likely to have a few slug-fests. I consider myself pretty nuetral and don't follow politics close enough to get in any conversations on it and it seems for now most everyone here that does post on it, they pretty much lean in the same direction.

mcmopar

Reaction score
I know I comment some on the political posts so I'd say it would be ok. Like you said it will have to be moderated and we'll just have to agree to disagree at times. Even though I'm a conservative (couldn't you tell? :jester: ) I'm not a mad dog about it. Seems like an ok idea to me but if it starts to create a problem we could always cut it off and leave politics to the polititicians. :cheers:

Big John

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Good idea John. If it is opinion based Its great, but if your going to post something you found on the net at least run it through Snopes to see if its real. You wouldnt believe the slanderous crap I get that isnt true. If its funny put in the Joke section. :beep:

I gotta agree with that. There is a lot of misinformation out there and you should at least try to verify it before you pass it on. Political humor... well.. that seems to get people talking... That could go into the political section too.

3BIRDS1X said:
Couldn't hurt as things get bigger then it's more likely to have a few slug-fests. I consider myself pretty nuetral and don't follow politics close enough to get in any conversations on it and it seems for now most everyone here that does post on it, they pretty much lean in the same direction.

There does seem to be similar views on this forum.

Big John

Reaction score
mcmopar said:
I know I comment some on the political posts so I'd say it would be ok. Like you said it will have to be moderated and we'll just have to agree to disagree at times. Even though I'm a conservative (couldn't you tell? :jester: ) I'm not a mad dog about it. Seems like an ok idea to me but if it starts to create a problem we could always cut it off and leave politics to the polititicians. :cheers:

Yep, that's it exactly... If it doesn't work we can always just pull the plug on that section.

moparstuart

Reaction score
politics and religion are just two things you can never win at discussing . I avoid those topics with friends because they are such a hot topic . If it comes up i just walk away or politely nod . :jester: :jester: :jester:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
moparstuart said:
politics and religion are just two things you can never win at discussing . I avoid those topics with friends because they are such a hot topic . If it comes up i just walk away or politely nod . :jester: :jester: :jester:
:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :D

Roadcuda

Reaction score
moparstuart said:
I agree with you Stuart. It's so hard to talk politics because you never get all the facts on any of these subjects, and these so called tv shows that allege to give you the facts don't help because, well, you get everything but what you really need to understand these things. And that's what makes it so hard to talk about this stuff. Do you ever have all the correct facts on any subject to make a well thought out opinion. I think in most cases, you only get bits and pieces, and I think that's what led to the recent mess with these meetings on the heatlh care. So I, for the most part just stay away from these things.

moparstuart

Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
moparstuart said:
I agree with you Stuart. It's so hard to talk politics because you never get all the facts on any of these subjects, and these so called tv shows that allege to give you the facts don't help because, well, you get everything but what you really need to understand these things. And that's what makes it so hard to talk about this stuff. Do you ever have all the correct facts on any subject to make a well thought out opinion. I think in most cases, you only get bits and pieces, and I think that's what led to the recent mess with these meetings on the heatlh care. So I, for the most part just stay away from these things.

most everyone is always very passionate and set in there ways about there own opinion's on these subjects . You are never going to change there minds so why fight and be contentious ? :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: life is to short

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Go for for it Big - we need someplace to discuss why all but one of the automotive dealerships targeted for closure had recently contributed to the guys wearing the white hats... :lmao:

The lemmings wanted change...they're getting it...and dragging the rest of us right along with them...

:jester:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I like a good debate, sometimes even I will learn something from a different view point. Not often so don't get any ideas :lol: Oh and I agree with everything Ray says :lmao:

Big John

Reaction score
OK, I have it up and running.

mcmopar

Reaction score
Although this isn't strictly "politics" it seems to fit the framework. When I first saw it I was quite surprised - its not your "typical" hard rock band.
[youtube:3m5z8nro]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ5SVDYBNrY&feature=PlayList&p=3CE63F164EEC735A&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=27[/youtube:3m5z8nro]

The message of the song is what American politics is made of - no matter which party you may favor. Sad, but true.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Jagger and the Stones discovered them back in the eighties and helped them get started...

:jester:
ACME aka the purveyor of useless information... :lol:

Back