• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pop out window

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
What a hand full these thing's are. Got it back together and fixing to put it in the car. Say one down and one to go. Also installed new latch. It look's a lot better now. :lol:

jww69rrpost

Reaction score
I'm convinced that the designers at Chrysler back in the day must have been on some really heavy-duty drugs when designing all the glass components. The only one that is basically straightforward (sort of) is the rear glass. All the others come with their share of just weird attributes. Both the rear pop-outs and the vent assemblies are a challenge... and the rubber that goes around them is the worst part of the whole installation process. And once they are all in, seems like they all require adjustment. Has anybody located a rear glass that actually fits in the corners (like the original glass did)? I guess because the rear glass on these B-body cars is just so unique with the curves in and out, that it is a difficult piece of glass to manufacture to exact specifications.

Plybeep68

Acceleratii Incredibus
Reaction score
JW, did you use aftermarket rear glass or just from a different car or not original to your car? I'm just curious as I've collected several spare back glass through the years

1968 man

Reaction score
I have a buddy that bought a after market back glass and it wasn't a good fit either , after taking it back out to check everything he placed on top of his original and the center was lower and the corners didn't match , but if you want new glass there is some tweaking that has to be done. they are a little different. Seems like with all the technology available they could do a little better job.

jww69rrpost

Reaction score
I agree with 1968 man. You have to be on board with tweaking stuff, and ok potentially sending a bunch of glass back for replacement before you finally get something that looks good and comes as close as possible to fitting. All my glass originated from AMD (either purchased directly or through Summit and Jegs), and all the pieces had to be sent back due to imperfections or just cut wrong. I started buying the glass two years before I was at the place in the process where it was time to have the glass installed (the body and paint shop installed the glass). The body shop brought in an expert in vintage car glass for the rear glass and windshield. The windshield went right in and was a perfect fit. The rear required a lot of tweaking and was very time consuming, but was finally placed where the majority of all the critical places matched up pretty good. By the time I finally got the car home where I could do a complete inspection, I noticed the lower corners didn't quite fit... not terrible, but just shy of extending all the way into the corners. I found by filling in the corners with black glass sealer the fit came out looking just fine. The glass sealer is really messy to work with; however, once you get the hang of smoothing it out, it does come out looking like it belongs there. When it cures, it has the appearance of part of the gasket (which aren't used on the rear glass) showing just a bit... problem solved, and there is no place for water runoff to settle... runs right over the sealer material.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Now you guy's have me gun shy. I got to get a new rear back glass. Mine is in really bad shape. This month coming going to order one from AMD. Had a test fit with the old glass. Had clearance problems with the bottom out side clips. It would not go in. So I shaved the tips on the those two clip's. Then it went rite in. Pop out window was done today. Went to put it in the car put the seal with the one side like tape. Noticed it was awfully thick. Put the window in the car and it sat to low could not open the window with out hitting metal. I pried and pushed. So ended up taking that stuff off the top. The window now sit's more like it should. Will go back with the black foam tape and use 3m seal glue to put it on the window frame. Have some problems with the quarter and window frame are not meeting up tight enough. Have to do some adjusting still. Will finish it tomorrow I hope. Every thing on building a car has an effect on every thing else. I has a lot to do with the after market part's. It has been that way from the beginning. But adapt and over come. Is the only way to get it done.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Sorry to say I don't have a build sheet on the car and it did not have a fender tag either. To me the car was a red car so it think. Never did find any other color. Their was a yellowish color under the red but think that was a primer. Every nut and bolt was red. I know it did have a repaint because the seals and gasket's had over spray due to a bad tape off job. No This is B5 blue but the color changed a bit when putting the color blender on it with the flake. Seems to get a little darker once the color blender is applied. :thumbsup2:

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Thanks guy's but what made it bad is some where in the build that part where the back of the window screw's to the ear on the quarter was not rite. Must have gotten moved when putting the quarter on. So had to take a fur strip of wood and a ballpein hammer and knock the S------ out of it several time to move it. I said to my self that's it beat on a brand new restored and painted car. But what else could I do. If you use the foam tape seal it is too thick. Had to use the charcoal foam strip and use 3m glue to put it to the window frame. Used the same thing on the under rail trim for the pop out window. Also used a hole tube of Black RVT put it on the foam and in crack's where ever they showed their selves. Or any gap's that looked like could happen. Hope I did rite. Don't want any leak's. :thumbsup2:

RKNRLR

Reaction score
was just thinking about what your car looked like when I forst jumped on this forum. it sure has come a real long way

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Yea my wife said it should have gone a long way's to the junk yard. These girls just don't get it. But it will never have the motor and thing's you have done with yours. Just getting to old to be climbing in and out of the hood area. Think it will be a good lay back and drive car in the end. May be an eye catcher for some people. Thanks' and keep us up on when you get that new motor fired off and what you get out of it. :steering:

1968 man

Reaction score
Its a nice color, and fits the car perfect. This is my 70 that is B7 it is a couple of shades darker than the B5.the interior is two tone with B5 and B7 seats and door panels. The top of the dash is flat satin B5. IMG_3842.PNG

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
That is a good color also almost went that way my self. Are you working on that one or is it finished also. I think you have Plymouth in your vanes 1968 man.:thumbsup2:

Back