• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Port the heads or Stroker Kit

JJRJR

Reaction score
Hey guy, I haven't posted in a while. Car is torn apart and going to media blasting today. Engine build underway, all the parts are in and he's building the 383.

OK, some time ago I posted for your opinions about the 440Source Stroker Kit. They have a 383 to 496 Kit. While I realize some machining is needed to get it right, I got the sense most people didn't think they were worth it? Well, a buddy of mine is putting on the full-court press for me to get the Stroker Kit. Problem is I already bought pistons, rings, rods, bearings, etc. and had the rotating assembly balanced. My engine guy says it's not too late to install a Stroker Kit and he's gonna get back to me.

Here's my question. Would I get better bang out of $2K by installing a Stroker Kit or would I get better results by porting the Edelbrock Performer RPM heads I got for the build? I've heard by porting those things you really open up the power of those 383's.

I'm afraid to do the Stroker because I've heard that so many things can go wrong, at the same time, I don't want someone to ruin my new Eddy heads by screwing up the port job.

Any advice is welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks guys,

John

3BIRDS1X

Staff member
Reaction score
it sounds like you want both, budget says to do one then stroke it and the heads can be upgraded anytime later, not so easy the other way.

JJRJR

Reaction score
I was thinking the same. Stroke it while engine out then maybe heads I can get myself for my birthday.

If I stroke to a 496, will the Comp Cams XE275HL be big enough? 750 Holley big enough? What else would need to be changed to maximize the Stroker Kit?

Thanks again,

John

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
JJRJR said:
I was thinking the same. Stroke it while engine out then maybe heads I can get myself for my birthday.

If I stroke to a 496, will the Comp Cams XE275HL be big enough? 750 Holley big enough? What else would need to be changed to maximize the Stroker Kit?

Thanks again,

John

john....i would call comp cams and tell them what you are doing and how radical you want to go.....they should hook you up with that answer.....porting your heads makes horsepower also.....find a great head shop and get a competition port and polish job and flow tested to get tha max out of them......then you have to go with big tube headers by tti and 3 inch exhaust

JJRJR

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'm having my engine guy get a price on the port/polish job. I think I'm going to pass on the Stroker Kit at this time. Already bought the .030 over pistons, bearings, new rods and bearings and had it all balanced, don't want to throw that money away. BUT, I'm seriously considering the head porting and polishing.

What can I expect to pay for a good competition porting and polishing? Will I get a significant boost in HP/TQ if I do so? I've heard the heads are the number one area restricting air flow, thus power. Just don't want to do it for small gains.

Have people had success opening up the Eddy aluminum performer rpm heads?

Thanks again,

John

george68hemirr

Reaction score
maybe 50-100 horsepower....but it all depends on other factors......cam[roller/hyd/flat tappet/roller rockers]compression/high rise manifold/carb/headers/exhaust/ignition....my 2 cents.....

JJRJR

Reaction score
Thanks George. Well, here's the rest of the build: XE275HL Comp Cam, 1.6 ratio rockers, 750 Holley double pumper, Eddy Performer RPM intake, Eddy Performer RPM heads, 10:1 CR pistons, .030 over bore, fully balanced internals, TTI headers and exhaust (3").

So, I'm thinking the porting should help out. What do you think?

Just got a price of $600 for port/polish job with before and after flow-bench number provided. Does that sound high, low?

Thanks,

John

george68hemirr

Reaction score
JJRJR said:
Thanks George. Well, here's the rest of the build: XE275HL Comp Cam, 1.6 ratio rockers, 750 Holley double pumper, Eddy Performer RPM intake, Eddy Performer RPM heads, 10:1 CR pistons, .030 over bore, fully balanced internals, TTI headers and exhaust (3").

Just got a price of $600 for port/polish job with before and after flow-bench number provided. Does that sound high, low?

Thanks,

John
the porting will make her fly....yes......i think 600 is a good price....make sure he does a intake and exhaust gasket match also.....hes doing a competition port/polish job.....there is alot of work in doing this job and he could have these heads off and on the flow bench 100 times to get them as close as possible to the numbers.....this guy is good ...right....you know other guys that had there heads done by him???....they are happy???

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
3BIRDS1X said:
it sounds like you want both, budget says to do one then stroke it and the heads can be upgraded anytime later, not so easy the other way.

X2 :yesnod:

moparchris

Reaction score
JJRJR said:

Thanks,

John
That sounds like a great price. Porting would really wake up that 383. I think that your kinda getting ahead of yourself. It happens all the time. I can tell you that if you haven't owned a Big Block Mopar before you will be very impressed with your 383 even if you dont port the heads. A stock displacement 383 with Performer RPM head will easily make 400 hp and will run deep into the 12s in a good chassis (sticky tire well set up suspension). I have built engines for friends that go down the road your on and keep wanting to up the ante after we start the build. They end up spending money twice and end up totally unhappy with the monster we have created. If I were you or I was your friend i would build the 383 with the OOTB Eddys (have them disassembled and checked and a new valve job) and run it. You have already spent the money so why not go down that road and if you want more power in the future then build another motor and swap them out. :cents:

JJRJR

Reaction score
Is he good? Well, I'm going with the machine shop that my engine builder uses and on his advice. I have no clue who does this work or how good they are. The guy that is building the engine is a racing shop and he said this guy does great work for a good price. I will at least speak to the guy on the phone to see what he'll be doing.

Thanks,

John

JJRJR

Reaction score
Hey John, no Jim isn't doing it. My engine builder says a buy up his way does great work for decent prices. I'm not going to let him touch the heads before I actually speak to him and ask him a few questions. I'm not really sure how much I'm going to gain by porting the Eddy RPM's. Aren't they build from Eddy so they ARE like well ported iron stock heads? If ported, do you think the rest of my build will be ok? XE275HL, 750 Holley?
Thanks,

John

mcmopar

Reaction score
Porting the Edelbrocks will net you some increased flow but polishing the ports isn't all that necessary and will just add more in terms of cost. I wouldn't go too crazy on the heads simply because your power level is fairly modest (400-500 hp). They should work well enough for you right out of the box. They flow just about where my ported 452's are rated (280 cfm intake/220 cfm exhaust) right out of the box. Doing some porting will help a little but I wouldn't invest a lot in it if it were me.

Back