• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Possible Fuel Pressure Problem

amike95

Reaction score
Hey guys, my RR is a stock 383, eldbrock performer 650 carb with a mechanical fuel pump. If I let it sit for a week or so without starting it, it's like the fuel line loses pressure and takes around a mintue or so for the fuel to get to the carb before it will start. After that it starts fine. If I start it every day, it start fine. Only when I let it set for a few days does it do this. Any ideas? Thanks,

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
This gas of today has alcohol in it and it evaporates fast. Just prime the carb or get an electric pump

metalstorm

Reaction score
i wonder if the tank vent is plugged or something with the tank cap drawing the fuel back to the tank.
ps: it could also be some form of vapor lock after boiling the fuel out.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
mine does that. If I don't get to drive it regularly it takes a minute for it to fire. When I can drive it dailey, it fires right away.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
I have that problem too. Having three cars, two of them will sit for a few weeks at a time so I always have to crank them for a while to get the gas up to the carb! I do get to find out how good the batteries are with all the cranking they will do! :D

bigmanjbmopar

Reaction score
Drain back with the new gas is common everyone is having the same issue, boil out / drain back all related to today's gas. Nothing wrong you will just have to hear the reduction music or your starter a little longer :) Love that sound best ever

moparchris

Reaction score
I had the same issues till I started mixing in race gas with pump swill. Now they can sit for over a month and start right up......and the aroma in the garage is awesome.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
moparchris said:
I had the same issues till I started mixing in race gas with pump swill. Now they can sit for over a month and start right up......and the aroma in the garage is awesome.
I use a mixture also the smell is great but it still dries up with the return line at the vapor separator :yesnod:

amike95

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys. I'll try mixing a little cam 2 in the gas and see what happens.

Back