• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power Steering Pump and Brackets for Factory Air Conditioned car Help

pro-streeter

Reaction score
Ok
I need some help with the correct Power Steering pump. I have found that there are 3 brands it seems. My car is a factory AC 1969 Road Runner California built Dec 1968. I bought the car with a TRW PS pump and a 5 1/2 dia pulley solid no spokes. Not sure this is correct however it does fit it would seem correctly. The brackets work and clear the AC compressor. Also there is a Federal brand very similar to mine in appearance however slightly different. This pump has a 6 7/8 spoke style pulley. The brackets are slightly different too. The pulleys can not interchange either as the TRW shaft diameter is larger than the Federal. The other brand is the Saginaw totally different in appearance. Trying to get a rebuild kit I have found the Federal and Saginaw are available. Can not seem to find the TRW.
Hope someone understands the history on this issue. The 1969 factory service manual only shows the Federal and Saginaw styles section 19-21 to 19-23

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I think the TRW pump was used on earlier (67 and down?) cars.

So you have a couple options, either find a kit for an earlier car or go to a newer pump.

I don't know how "correct" you want to be....From everything I've read and personal experience, the Saginaw pump is a better, more reliable and easier to find replacement over the Federal. The brackets are different though. The Federal pump is harder to find, but I believe there are rebuilt replacements out there.. Just be sure to get one with the reservoir as most don't seem to include that with the new pump.

pro-streeter

Reaction score
Thanks
I will have them look up earlier models 1967 and see if there is a kit available.

mahoney0_00_3

Reaction score
my friend drives his car and the new air cond he bought was classic cool and they had everything to convert it to a new pump/and it is all new!i had a a/c car and the pump really killed the output--the new pump was a lot easier on the cars engine and you can rev it up and its not going anyware

pro-streeter

Reaction score
my friend drives his car and the new air cond he bought was classic cool and they had everything to convert it to a new pump/and it is all new!i had a a/c car and the pump really killed the output--the new pump was a lot easier on the cars engine and you can rev it up and its not going anyware

Classic auto air correct? I have heard of their system. So it goes in place of the stock system without mods? I want the car to stay original so I do not want to drill holes or modify anything.

Back