• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

power steering pump leak

dbc105

Reaction score
My power steering pump has started leaking and off course the fluid killed my lower rad hose where it dripped on it. Has anyone rebuild one of these or know of a good place to get a replacement? I'm wondering if something later model might retro fit.

DC

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
dbc105 said:
My power steering pump has started leaking and off course the fluid killed my lower rad hose where it dripped on it. Has anyone rebuild one of these or know of a good place to get a replacement? I'm wondering if something later model might retro fit.

DC
I have rebuilt Saginaw pumps before, pretty easy. Get a good pulley puller then its basically a front seal and large o-ring. That's for leaks, there are other parts that seldom fail you will find in the kit. The kit can be found at NAPA :thumbsup:

dbc105

Reaction score
Autozone shows one online but it is $151 exchange and is a special order. seems high for a rebuilt pump. Advance only has seals, O Reilly's has it but no published price. Guess I'll stop by on the way home this evening and get a price. May check out Rock Auto. Seen them on tv, never bought anything from them. Mine has some play in the shaft, I would think that is what has caused the seal to leak. I don't know if it is a Saginaw or not, the top of the reservoir is round not oval. How hard would it be to replace the bearing or bushing?

DC

dbc105

Reaction score
Good news, O'Reilly is $53.99 exchange including the tank or mid $40's without the tank. I don't think I will install a tank for $6. They don't have on in stock and I am stopping by tomorrow afternoon to see how long it will take to get one. Also Rock Auto was around $59 exchange with tank. I don't know why Autozone was so high. Maybe this info will help someone out some time.

DC

dbc105

Reaction score
Well, bad news, O'Reilly can not get the pump only send it off and have it rebuilt and the girl working there said the last thing that got sent off like that never came back. Guess I am back to square 1. I did take a look last night at installing and electric one off of a late model car. Could mount under the fender right up behind the headlight but it still would depend on availability. It's starting to look like I will be installing new bearing and seals in the one I have.

DC

dbc105

Reaction score
Update, I found one at Autozone. They have it listed under a '72 model for $53 exchange. The '68 model is the same pump but $151 and you have to send your pump in and have it built. Supposed to be in Tuesday. Includes the tank but I have to put my pulley on it. Hope this helps if anyone else needs one.

DC

dbc105

Reaction score
LOL, latest update in "DC's Power Steering Pump Adventure". The pumps look the same but there are a few differences. The hoses have different fittings and the pulley will not fit because the shaft is a smaller size. Now I am thinking I may just order a set of brackets from 440source.com and install my Saginaw pump if the pulleys will line up. Of course you can find all kinds of pulleys to fit these pumps and my hose already will work.

DC

droptop

Reaction score
If you have the pulley off of you original, just put a new seal in it and put it back on. That is what causes the leak in most cases.

dbc105

Reaction score
I was going to do that when I started but there is some play in the shaft and lash in the pump gears and the tank is not as nice as I would like it to be. That is why I was going to install a rebuilt.

DC

Back