• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pressure plate trash?

Confederate1969

Reaction score
I've been meaning to ask this for a few months now, but I'm just now getting around to it... Here are a few pics of my 11in pressure plate. It's pretty rusty and from what I have been told, it is not the original to the car. Did RR's come stock with 10.5in clutch assemblies?

Does mine look ok to reuse or is this thing a boat anchor?

mcmopar

Reaction score
'69 383 road runners came from the factory with an 11" clutch. After '69 they came with a 10.5" clutch.
You can have your pressure plate rebuilt if you have a clutch rebuilder in the area. They will disassemble it and put new fork springs in it and resurface the clutch disc contact area. Or you can just buy a whole new clutch package which is probably the best way to go. The aftermarket clutch packages are usually cheaper than going to the parts house and buying remanufactured parts anyhow, plus the aftermarket stuff will probably last a good bit longer as well. There are lots of aftermarket manufacturers out there and since your car is probably going to be a cruiser/street car your choices won't be that expensive. Personally, I wouldn't reuse that old one unless it has some sort of odd sentimental (with the emphasis on mental :D ) value to you.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Replace it now while its apart.

Confederate1969

Reaction score
No sentimental value for a clutch... :loco: It's just that it has looked like a piece of junk ever since I took it out in November and I wanted to know if such a thing was good to go ahead and replace and if this one was as worth throwing out as I thought it was.

Thanks for confirming what I was thinkin, fellahs.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
yeah, what the other said. while it's apart, new clutch,pressure plate, throw out brg,new pilot bushing,new z bar bushings......now's the time.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Depending on where you get the new one it might be used as a core, so don't toss it yet! If you get a Big name set they won't want it, but NAPA might.

Confederate1969

Reaction score
Suggestions for a good street/strip clutch set?

Since I'm in the market for a new clutch set now, what would you all suggest as being a good one for street/strip use?

dobie

Reaction score
McLeod is what I'm running. I got all my tranny stuff from Brewer's Performance, and they recommended the McLeod stuff. Not the cheapest, but it's so far held up to my abuse. :drive:

mcmopar

Reaction score
Im running a RAM gold pressure plate (diaphragm style) at the moment. I was concerned that it would not hold up as well as a Borg & Beck or Long style pressure plate due to the added torque and horsepower I'm now making but it has held up quite well. I had been running a Hays setup prior to this but it didn't do so well. You can check out RAM's offerings here:
http://www.ramclutches.com/Specialty%20 ... /mopar.htm
I'd also highly recommend ditching the stock factory flywheel for a billet steel unit if you are going to go to the dragstrip. I used a Centerforce billet flywheel in mine. The factory unit no doubt has experienced some stress cracking over the last 39 years so don't risk it - get a stronger unit.

Blown R/T

Reaction score
I have a centerforce dual friction. I have installed many of them in friends cars. Including a 1970 RR. we put a ray barton hemi in it. it made 660 Hp. over 600 tq. I works great.
Kevin

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Blown R/T said:
I have a centerforce dual friction. I have installed many of them in friends cars. Including a 1970 RR. we put a ray barton hemi in it. it made 660 Hp. over 600 tq. I works great.
Kevin

I was thinking Centerforce as well...although with the mods and budget that you have been talking about for this particular car in some of your other threads you won't need the dual friction - You're more in need of the Center Force I and maybe the II if you're planning any track time. The centrifugal weights on these two offerings will provide more clamping power the harder you spin it. And MC is putting you on the right track with the advice on the new flywheel as well - especially if you're gonna beat on it...

Ray

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Another vote for CF. I have used several and they work great. Too much talk of problems with other brands mainly Zoom and maybe a few others, nothing bad about McLeod but I just know CF works right the first time.

CF has great clamping and light pedal, two traits I like. My current car has an unknown brand but it looks just like a CF unit and has the light pedal feel.

Back