• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PRO MAX SIX PACK SET UP

1BADBIRD

Reaction score
Anyone using this? I have been hearing alot of good about this setup. Just wondering if anyone has any dealings with it.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I think Mac has some experiance with Pro Max.

mac

What ?
Reaction score
i originally had promax restore my carbs. they even say they run them on a "mule" engine before the sent them back. the carbs looked great but there performance was not as expected in my case. there are other people to talk to (and i have) about setting up a good running sixpack setup. my opinion, first and foremost, is bob karakashian. he is known as mr sixpack and was one of the engineers for chrysler for the development of the sixpack. he is a great guy always willing to talk about what your are working on. then there is bill overcash who restores carbs and is very generous with help. i also talked to phil fish, another veteran of sixpack carbs. last but not least is a person that only know as dayclona on moparts, who had a lot of useful advice for tuning. are you looking to buy a setup or have work done to something you already have? i also think big john, if given the nudge, has a lot of knowledge to share. :worship:

1BADBIRD

Reaction score
I already have the setup. I am running a 440 60 over, with steel crank, Eagle H-beam rods with 990 pin, Ross pistons 11.5 to 1 comp. I am running 452 heads with 2.14 and 1.81 valves
ported and pollished the cam is a custom grind it is 255 deg at 50 thous. with 620 lift. So there she is in a nutshell What do you think?
Is the cam too much? What do you recomend with this setup? This engine was in my 69 Dart and was a bracket racer.

mac

What ?
Reaction score
i am by no means an expert. with that being said, your combo sounds great. as far as the cam is concerned, if the heads are set up for it with the proper porting and springs and you are running headers, you should be good to go. what kind of horse power are you expecting?

1BADBIRD

Reaction score
The cam is a roller cam as with the rockers and springs. The headers are TTI. As far as horsepower your guess is as good as mine. I am sure it will be 500 plus. I changed the heads from a set of close chambers I have Those had my comp at 13.5 to 1. A little much for a street car but worked well on the track. I guess 11.5 to 1 ain't 87 octane material either but its a little better. The cam is one had on the shelf. I am toying with throwing the team g back on it with the dominator and putting the six pack on the shelf, if its going to be more trouble than its worth. Just let me know what you think. :popcorn:

mac

What ?
Reaction score
well the six pack might be a little more work to get set up, but they usually say it's the WOW factor that the six pack brings. six pack is rated fro 1000 cfm at WOT so it is definately enough. if you decide to go with the dominator please box up the six pack setup and ship to my address for long term storage. :leave:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
The six pack setup is cool... but if you are using the stock dual plane manifold, then I would say its not for that engine. It doesn't breathe well enough for that much cam.

1BADBIRD

Reaction score
I agree the intake is the limmiting factor here. I guess there is always next time. Maybe I will try to build a stock 440 to factory six pack specs minus those (heavy on the wrong end) rods and then take the cam up a bit from there. Then a little head work and....Here we go again :crazy:

dutchrunner

Reaction score
He' , I have the max pack on my 6-BBL . It has made some real changes. But due to the damage last time I have not had the change to put it on the dyno and make the needed changes.I am running an Edelbrock STR-14-6 intake , edelbrock heads 88cc , 528 stockers set from 440source 11.6:1 c.r. and solid lifter cam (compcam XS282S) 282/290 duration and .520/.540 lift.
B4 damage engine had stealth heads and XE294H. I'll make the run in about 2/3 months and hope for some nice numbers.

Back