• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pro Street Road Kill?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I think simply put its a show car not pro street. And as far as show cars go there is allot of work in it, but it doesn't do much for me.

railrider

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
railrider said:
I know I started the larger wheel post

Exactly what I was thinking... :lmao:

:jester:

They didn't just add some wheels and some simple upgrades. This car is way beyond returning to original one day. If I had $180,000 to spend I would buy a couple "REAL" Hemi cars and a Six Pack! :cheers:

mannye

Reaction score
A31PKG said:
mannye said:
.... I remember in the late 80's a Nova with two turbos feeding a blower that was really more of a wild design exercise than a viable race car, like most Pro-Street vehicles.....

Is this the car you speak of?

http://www.dobbertinhydrocar.com/Nova%20SS.htm

Could be... I do remember it being blue-ish... it would help more if we could see under the hood. I remember two huge turbos and a lot of polished tubing. Everything was chromed and had a lot of braided stainless.. But it might have been a later model Nova...

I'm not a big fan of Pro-Street because the cars usually end up being completely impractical at best and at worst, completely unusable... This Nova looked like it might have been somewhere in the middle...so much stuff could go wrong and dialing something like that in seems like it would be a nightmare.

Like this Runner... can it run? Where the heck would you drive it if it could? Would someone really race this? So as a design exercise it might have merit, but as a car... I think it's pointless.

A31PKG

Reaction score
Could be... I do remember it being blue-ish... it would help more if we could see under the hood.

Scroll down the web page and click on the engine box for a pic of the engine... When you mentioned this, I immediately thought of the car. It was built/fabricated locally by a guy named Rick Dobberton. He owned a local speed shop called AA Speed here in Northern VA. He did beautiful custom exhaust work. I met him when I took my first MOPAR (a '70 Super Bee) there to have an exhaust system made back in 1981-ish. He became rather well-known after this Nova, and ended up selling the speed shop to fabricate full time. He has a few nationally recognized cars to his credit. He was more of a show guy than anything, sort of a Chip Foose on steroids - at the time anyway!

I do agree though, what fun is it if you can't drive it?

:thumbsup:

72duster

Reaction score
a little to custom for me all so but whats the difference between this and a tub out caged out front skinny tire drag car that can barely make the turn to get off the strip. just saying i like lowered cars and non stock look i know mopar guys like stock but when you have a shell i think it time to dream.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A31PKG said:
Could be... I do remember it being blue-ish... it would help more if we could see under the hood.

Scroll down the web page and click on the engine box for a pic of the engine... When you mentioned this, I immediately thought of the car. It was built/fabricated locally by a guy named Rick Dobberton. He owned a local speed shop called AA Speed here in Northern VA. He did beautiful custom exhaust work. I met him when I took my first MOPAR (a '70 Super Bee) there to have an exhaust system made back in 1981-ish. He became rather well-known after this Nova, and ended up selling the speed shop to fabricate full time. He has a few nationally recognized cars to his credit. He was more of a show guy than anything, sort of a Chip Foose on steroids - at the time anyway!

I do agree though, what fun is it if you can't drive it?

:thumbsup:

He also brought us that gawd-awful '88 Grand Am wrong wheel drive pro-streeter in case you forgot... :puke:

Even having stated that I wouldn't disparage him by any kind of foose comparison; Dobbertin was a fabricator that did most of his own work...certainly more skilled than just farming out a two-tone paint job and slapping a crate motor & set of donk wheels on something and calling it completed... :D

Apparently he lives up in the Syracuse area these days...maybe Big and guys up there have seen him...

3BIRDS1X

Staff member
Reaction score
it kind of looks like he really wanted a Super Bee but had to settle :huh: for a road runner.

moparchris

Reaction score
72duster said:
a little to custom for me all so but whats the difference between this and a tub out caged out front skinny tire drag car that can barely make the turn to get off the strip. just saying i like lowered cars and non stock look i know mopar guys like stock but when you have a shell i think it time to dream.

I cant relate to this comment. Have you driven a pro street car? They drive killer, soft spring rates and lotsa sideway make them ride like a Caddy. Tons of power and turn as good as a stocker without sway bars and bias plies. I drive a "pro street car" daily and its does everything with great ease.

ACME A12 said:
He also brought us that gawd-awful '88 Grand Am wrong wheel drive pro-streeter in case you forgot... :puke:

Even having stated that I wouldn't disparage him by any kind of foose comparison; Dobbertin was a fabricator that did most of his own work...certainly more skilled than just farming out a two-tone paint job and slapping a crate motor & set of donk wheels on something and calling it completed... :D

Apparently he lives up in the Syracuse area these days...maybe Big and guys up there have seen him...

He also had the blown and turbo'd J2000 with the polished stainless steel cage with less than 12 inches between the rear tires.

As far as Chip Foose is concerned. I am not a fan of some of his stuff but he did make a street rod completely out of raw 4x8 sheets of steel that won the Oakland Roadster Show. He has metal fab skills that rival anyone, but Overhaulin' has kinda not shown him in that light.

Back