• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Problems getting the right alt.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
O Rely sold me a square back alt. It had two field point's. After reading and searching seen how much trouble these gave guy's on their resto. Burnt wires and rewiring to make it work. Told the guy's at O rely needed the one with just the one field connection. After two tries today was at the counter with the guy. He kept telling me the one they sold me was for a 69. So we searched his computer and their was one that only had on field connection on it. 55 amp out put. Told him that is what I wanted. So now it is Monday and will have to wait till Monday next week to get this one. Why do they try to push a later model alt on us I don't know. Guess because they have a lot of them in stock. Well wish me luck. LOL. :BangHead:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
With 175 amp you would need to alter some wiring. I have the the 37 amp on mine that Hemi's came with and with the headlights on I have to rev the engine a bit to get the turn signals to blink. But hey that's how it came new LOL

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
So don't have an electric radiator fan. No big amp for sound. Just the basic Runner. Hope it work's. Using the original head light's and not up grading. If I do that will run a wire from the batterie with some relay's. Now you guy's have me thinking. But did not want to hack up the new wiring harness. Thanks for the humor. Need that some time's. :beep:

Ranger

Reaction score
I replaced my OEM 37 amp alternator a few years back with a round back 55 amp. Minimal head lamp dimming at idle. It was an improvement over the OEM 37 amp.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I replaced my OEM 37 amp alternator a few years back with a round back 55 amp. Minimal head lamp dimming at idle. It was an improvement over the OEM 37 amp.
Don't have that luxury but it doesn't get driven that much anyway.

Reaction score
Running an isolated field later alternator on a pre ’70 application is fairly easy. Common for rebuilders to modify one of the terminals and package as a pre-’70 application. Normally involved removing one insulating washers on one terminal and substituting a metal washer in its place, grounding the terminal to the case. Will normally clip off the spade connection as well prevent connections to the wrong terminal.

The benefit of running newer higher capacity alternators on cars with only stock loads is more current availability at lower rpms, idle. While wiring improvements are recommended, would not be necessary on car with only stock loads.

Last edited:

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Good info 72RoadRunnerGTX will keep it in mind. We spend all that money on new harness. Have the dash cluster's reworked. Then get thrown for a loop with the part's supply store saying this is for a 69 runner. Glad I did the research or might have had a major melt down. Thanks. Russ.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
If you want to run electronic ignition, later voltage reg, two field alt and the four prong ballast on a 69, year one has a nice harness for the entire engine for about 140 bucks. Looks all factory and you can ditch the old one with burns and cut wires, not have splice mess for the upgrades.

Terry Hauck

Choadicus
Reaction score
O Rely sold me a square back alt. It had two field point's. After reading and searching seen how much trouble these gave guy's on their resto. Burnt wires and rewiring to make it work. Told the guy's at O rely needed the one with just the one field connection. After two tries today was at the counter with the guy. He kept telling me the one they sold me was for a 69. So we searched his computer and their was one that only had on field connection on it. 55 amp out put. Told him that is what I wanted. So now it is Monday and will have to wait till Monday next week to get this one. Why do they try to push a later model alt on us I don't know. Guess because they have a lot of them in stock. Well wish me luck. LOL. :BangHead:
They hire people that have little automotive knowledge and will work for cheap. They just have to know how to operate a computer. Long gone are the days with experts behind the counter.

Back