• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Problems with my rig

moparholic4bbl

Reaction score
1. Gas meter don't work (bad sending unit?)
2. Fuel leaks from the filler neck if parked facing up hill just after tank has been filled. (bad seals?)
3. Secondaries aren't kicking in lately. Carter AVS
4. Cold starts in the morning and needs a good 15 minutes to warm up until clearing exhaust haze and hesitation. (Normal for an old Mopar?)

Solutions / feedback / advice appreciated.

moparchris

Reaction score
I had most of these problems with my 69. I pulled my hair out with the stupid AVS. I finally had a pro acid dip it to get the sherds out of it. The gas tank has a rubber donut that seals the filler neck to the gas tank. Its available at Year One. The sender could very well be bad, quite typical, but I would test it by disconnecting it and see what the gauge does then ground the sender wire and I believe it should read full at that point. I am not 100% sure on the reading. I know the chokes on the old Carters aren't a thing of great accuracy but once you get the carb sorted out the choke can be adjusted to work close to proper.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think every one of us has had an issue with the fuel gauge/sender at some point. Be prepared for some tweaking of the float arm to get it to read correctly if you end up replacing it...

sixgunrunner68

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
I think every one of us has had an issue with the fuel gauge/sender at some point. Be prepared for some tweaking of the float arm to get it to read correctly if you end up replacing it...
I think that's what I have to do. It's all new stuff but when the tank is full it only reads half.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Cold start thing could be anything from crappy CA gas to a stuck stat. Choke maybe but I don't run one and it does OK.

If the AVS worked good before, sounds like it has gummed up with a WOT issue added to that. Time for a rebuild and a full tune up.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
check the gas cap also, i've seen then leak. I don't run a choke either.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
sixgunrunner68 said:
ACME A12 said:
I think that's what I have to do. It's all new stuff but when the tank is full it only reads half.
That seems be to the norm for the aftermarket. I tested mine with an ohm meter prior to installing it and I still ended up pulling it and giving it a bend. I got mine dead on at empty and goes over full when full, but I wanted to know where empty was. :yesnod:

moparholic4bbl

Reaction score
Basketcase said:

Excellent point. I definitely need another. Speaking of which, what kind of cap did runners come with new? Anyone have a good photo? An/or what is everyone here using for a cap?

sixgunrunner68

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
sixgunrunner68 said:
ACME A12 said:
That seems be to the norm for the aftermarket. I tested mine with an ohm meter prior to installing it and I still ended up pulling it and giving it a bend. I got mine dead on at empty and goes over full when full, but I wanted to know where empty was. :yesnod:
I hear ya, I've had a couple of close calls where the car stumbled to the pump. :lol:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
moparholic4bbl said:
Basketcase said:

Excellent point. I definitely need another. Speaking of which, what kind of cap did runners come with new? Anyone have a good photo? An/or what is everyone here using for a cap?
Here ya go. And yes Chris another pic :lol:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
moparholic4bbl said:
Anyone have a good photo? An/or what is everyone here using for a cap?
Here ya go. And yes Chris another pic :lol:

How's about a pic of that license plate holder...? :pot: :acme: :devil:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:jester:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
You took the words right out of my mouth...... :acme:
I knew this was coming :toetap: :toetap: :toetap: Try and help a guy out, next Chris will have something to say about pics :wedgie:

Back