• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Production Stats

Sixtynine_Bird

Reaction score
An A12 car...........yes.............very rare with that combination. Nice. But my combination also rare...........being a 383 stroker 496 with 630 torque, 600 hp and 150 lbs lighter than the 440 or hemi. Just sayin.

View attachment 24734

Nice color indeed! :) And nice car! Got a question for you ^^
Where does that stroker come from? Is it a 440 source stroker? Cause I'm going through a complete resto on my bird and I plan to go for a 496 stroker for my 383. And I saw that 440 source got one so just wondering.
The numbers you got from that motor are just perfect lol!
And what type of heads are you running with?

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It all depends on your definition of "rare".

Well, there are only 5 known Q5 A12s known to exist. Not many. I think in terms of known cars that probably qualifies as "rare" in terms of color for most people. But of course we have no way of knowing just how many were actually built. Since just over 25% of the RR A12s built are accounted for (360 of 1,412), one could extrapolate that maybe there were 20 Q5 A12s built originally...or maybe there were 200 and all but 5 met untimely deaths. Who knows? Like you said - and I completely agree, it just depends upon your definition of rare...and some original production numbers that we will never get our hands on. It is an interesting discussion regardless...

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
While I think that it wasn't a popular A12 color, I still don't know as it was that "rare" with other cars. Again, it depends on your definition of "rare". Personally, I've decided that "rare" as it applies to Mopars doesn't mean much as low production numbers were the norm.

That "5 known" A12s has had some twists and turns. The first list of A12 colors was put together by Galen and the "official" A12 production number was 2, one of them being mine. What was really funny was the same time that came out, there was an Q5 A12 RR advertised in Hemmings, so I suspected that the production number would be bogus. They seemed to come out of the woodwork after that.

But... If you carried the extrapolation further, 20 Q5 A12s would work out to ~1% of the production run. Off the top of my head, I think there were about 20 colors available and that would work out to ~100 cars for each color (or using the Imperial gallon spelling, "colour"). So now we're 5:1 on the average. That's not factoring in popular colors like B5 though.

It is an interesting discussion...

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, and there is even more to consider... With the A12 cars the "popular colors" are pretty much out the window for comparative production stats...it actually works in the reverse of what one might think. You have to remember the A12s introduced the High Impact colors...so (IIRC) most of the 3/29 SPD cars were High Impact colors and it was only with the 4/26 SPD cars that the color flood gates truly opened. There are WAY more 96, 97, K2, & R4 A12 RRs than there are B5 or other "popular colored" cars. Currently there are only 16 B5 A12s known to exist - compared to 30 of the 96, 59 of the 97, 64 of the K2, and 72 of the R4 A12s. Even F8 which was hugely popular back then tallies only 14 cars. The "rarest" known colors are B3, F5, Y3, & Y4, and I'll leave it to someone else to debate whether or not those were popular colors... :D

I get my stats from Dave Watt's A12 color spreadsheet BTW - as he will only include the car in his database if he has all of the requisite info.

rollie

Reaction score
Message back to Sixty_Nine Bird. Engine was built by Precision Race Engines, McMinnville, Tennessee. You could try Bryan at Precisionraceengines@gmail.com
Lots of Edelbrock, Engine Works, Clevite and 440 Source parts. Good luck.

quikbird

Reaction score
69 bird. most of those strokers start with a 440. good parts for that are eagle crank, a good piston mahle, etc, heads from edelbrock, trick flow, indy, good set of rockers and springs, probably a dual plane intake, decent carb at least 85o or above or go with efi system of some sort. also with power levels around 600 hp and a heavy car, start thinking twin disc clutch. use bigger u joints in driveshaft, not a bad idea to upgrade radiator either, more power = more heat

Sixtynine_Bird

Reaction score
Thanks for that rollie :)

Ok Quikbird I was thinking about a twin disc clutch also when I was looking fore one, just going through different web site to see what I could fine. I didn't made my choice yet.
What about the A833, I know that it is a strong unit, but will it handle power like that? 630 torque and 600hp?
And for the u-joint what will be bigger and stronger is the center part only? It will still fit with the original driveshaft and the rear end?

quikbird

Reaction score
The twin disc I use is a MCcloud unit. I have had very few problems with it. your 4 gear is a pretty tough unit. it comes in two styles. the regular version and the hemi version. the main differences are the size of the input shaft. the hemi one is bigger. As for u joints the entire part is bigger both the u joint itself and the yoke it fits in. that usually means different pinion yoke on the rear axle differential, and on the driveshaft at the transmission

Sixtynine_Bird

Reaction score
Yep got the regular one with the 23 spline input shaft.
Only problem is that for the tail shaft, the gear is worn out where the plastic speedo gear pinion goes I will have to change the shaft... :BangHead:
Ok thanks for the info Quickbird, did you upgrade yours? what would you suggest for the size?
I'm going to check for the MCcloud.
I'm sorry I don't want to be boring but I don't want to do any mistake on that, body work repairs etc "no problem" for that but when it comes to the upgrades for mechanical parts I'm always a bit worried.

quikbird

Reaction score
Mine is the rst. Think about $800. At jegs. Mine is also the 23 spline. Holding up fine so far. New parts for the tranny first place to look would be passion, or brewers. Another point many miss is the limit horsepower wise for a stock 440 block is about the 600 hp level . If you approach or pass this, consider using a stud girdle to help with stabilizing the main bearing caps. Hughes engines has one.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I got all the A833 parts I needed at a local manual transmission shop. Nothing wrong with the two Quickie mentioned

quikbird

Reaction score
69 is in France. Not sure they have anyone who knows much about a833 Trannys there. That s why I volunteered those two companies

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
New parts for the tranny first place to look would be passion, or brewers.

sixtynine - when you go looking for these companies please note that it is "Passon Performance", not passion. Both are the last names of the owners. Just FYI. Both are good companies to deal with in my experience.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
never heard anything bad about Brewers, I've dealt with Jamie Passion, he's the best.

quikbird

Reaction score
Hey it was late at night and I don't spell that well when I'm tired. Just going to have deal with it.

Back