• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Project F5 1969 383/727 Road Runner

CompSyn

Reaction score
Some of you may remember my introduction to the forum two years ago – New guy from Idaho

Well after ten years of owning this 1969 Road Runner and collecting numerous parts, I decided I wanted to start getting my hands dirty.

Here are some click-able to larger size thumbnail project pictures.

th_3Driver.gif
Another side shot I took of the car in 2004 when I was considering selling it on ebay.

th_4Complete.gif
Here is a shot of the engine compartment. The engine is about 98% complete but as I have discovered, it's been tinkered on by a previous owner.

th_5Interior1.gif
727 shift on the column bucket seat interior. Built before January 1st 1969 so no head rests. I think I will add restoration head rests though.

th_6Interior2.gif
Love the Plymouth medallion in the rear seat.

th_798kmiles.gif
Judging by the known history and condition of the car, I believe the odometer to be accurate.

th_8ItBegins.gif
I picked up a hood in better shape hence the different hood.

th_11HarnessMarked.gif
Taking the time to mark each connector of the engine harness.

th_12BagTag.gif
My cheap method of bagging and tagging everything right down to the heater hose clamps.

th_13GrowingPile.gif
My car slowly turning in to a pile of boxes.

th_14CherryPicker.gif
Enter, cherry picker...

th_15383-727-Air.gif
Engine in the air for the first time presumably since it was installed in September of 1968.

th_16KeystoneClamps.gif
The original painted fuel pump and could this be the factory original fuel filter still attached with the original Keystone clamps?

th_17Bent.gif
Oh know! The first hint of trouble. Two push rods were replaced on driver side bank. One of the new push rods bent on number #5 cylinder. Also, a more recent cam swap...

th_18906s.gif
906 heads off. The driver side had a thicker Fel-Pro head gasket while the passenger side was factory. How cool it was to remove the head bolts from the passenger side and hear the trapped compressed air release from between the head bolt and block probably for the fist time since the factory bolted it on in 1968.

th_19DriverBank.gif
More sighs of what really happened. The previous owner's cam install must have had a more aggressive profile. The slight dimples in the top of all the pistons from the exhaust valves hitting them could be from valve float caused by a more aggressive cam and stock Magnum valve springs. Also, the factory timing set was retained at the time of the cam swap with broken plastic sprockets and a very loose timing chain.

th_20Corrosion.gif
Corrosion in a few cylinders to be expected. This car appears to have last been licensed in 1985. The engine was actually froze up. But some help from some WD-40 and a big cheater bar convinced it to let loose.

th_21402OilPan.gif
Stock 402 oil pan which had been off at some point. It was missing two bolts where it attaches at the timing cover and one bolt was not factory correct.

th_22WindageTray.gif
The factory windage tray. Hey! I didn't know the factory Magnum engines had louvered windage trays.

th_23ShortBlock.gif
The short block. Looks like we found out why the oil pan was off. The number #5 piston and connecting rod was in backwards while the connecting rod cap was on right. Perhaps they spun a bearing after installing they're hot cam? Hey fellas, the piston notch points to the front of the engine :lol:

th_24ThePad.gif
Last pic for now, the ID pad. Anyone know what the random 9 4 2 numbers are for?

abodybill

Senior Citizen Member
Reaction score
Good luck and glad to see another Green Runner and a F5 to. :yesnod: :thumbsup:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I like to pull my head bolts and get new air in the block yearly :jester: Looks like a good solid project and you saved it from the shade tree mechanics before they ruined it.

droptop

Reaction score
I would guess that the timing chain is the reason for the bent push rods and the valves hitting the top of the pistons. Looks like you have a very good starting point.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
CompSyn said:
Last pic for now, the ID pad. Anyone know what the random 9 4 2 numbers are for?

Should be the month, day, and sequential build for that day. Second engine built on September the 4th.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
who could forget a Green ruuner with Cragars? glad you're back.
keep us updated!

4spd69RR

Reaction score
Oh my goodness another Green Runner, just saying, actually there is nothing wrong with the color. Have fun with the restore!

Back