• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pulled the engine out on Saturday

Confederate1969

Reaction score
Finally got everything I needed to get the 383 out after scrounging around Memphis the whole summer. Grade 8 bolts, chain, hoist, stand, jacks, and an extra pair of hands. So we spent a couple hours and pulled an engine out.

[attachment=2:2cfx7peh]e2.jpg[/attachment:2cfx7peh]

[attachment=1:2cfx7peh]e3.jpg[/attachment:2cfx7peh]

[attachment=0:2cfx7peh]e5.jpg[/attachment:2cfx7peh]

e2.jpg

e3.jpg

e5.jpg

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
do yourself a major favor, either put all the nuts and bolts back where they go, or bag and tag everything. you never know when real life will interfere and delay your work, and if your like me, don't count on remembering where stuff went.
looks like your well on your way! keep the updates coming.

dobie

Reaction score
I couldn't agree more. Even with my crap labeled, I'm still lost!!!

:brickwall:

Confederate1969

Reaction score
Everything has been tagged and bagged. No risk of losing anything. I know the garage is a mess :crazy: , but it's all tools and stuff. The car parts and fasteners are safe. :thumbsup:

Skidz

Reaction score
It's absolutely amazing when you look at the engine bays of older cars. How the hell did they ever run without computers and sensors and 38.5 miles of wiring?

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I've been using those Glad disposable containers for a lot of my stuff. They're cheap, you can write on them with a Sharpie and they stack up.

droptop

Reaction score
Confederate1969; It looks like you are well on your way. Did you ever figure out if that is an original Petty Blue bird or not? I can't get over how much that engine bay looks like Petty Blue.

John69RR

Reaction score
Now the fun begins. This is what the hobby is all about. Good luck. Don't forget to take pictures and "Bag & Tag" parts, fasteners etc...

Confederate1969

Reaction score
The fendor tag shows the car as originally being B5 Blue. The paint the car has on the outside now is definitely not the original paint and looks to have been a cheapo corner shop spray job. I don't know if the engine bay is the original color or not, but it is definitely the paint color that covered the entire car at one point, whether it came from the factory or was a secondary paint job.

Whatever the case, I'm not restoring it to B5 Blue. I'm for sure getting rid of the crappy paint it has right now. I think I'm going to go with a deeper metallic blue that I've seen on a few newer cars these days. Something closer to B7 Jamaica Blue, but with a touch more "neon" to it. Now I know there's fellahs out there who lose their minds when a restoration isn't factory spec / stock / etc... But I like to ask, who am I restoring this car for? Am I doing it for my personal enjoyment or am I doing it to satisfy a bunch of nitpickers? I can say this Southern boy only aims to please a handful of people (they're all women and they all have my last name :worship: ). Aside from them, I don't give a rip what folks want to criticize me about. :D

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Confederate1969 said:
The fendor tag shows the car as originally being B5 Blue. The paint the car has on the outside now is definitely not the original paint and looks to have been a cheapo corner shop spray job. I don't know if the engine bay is the original color or not, but it is definitely the paint color that covered the entire car at one point, whether it came from the factory or was a secondary paint job.

Whatever the case, I'm not restoring it to B5 Blue. I'm for sure getting rid of the crappy paint it has right now. I think I'm going to go with a deeper metallic blue that I've seen on a few newer cars these days. Something closer to B7 Jamaica Blue, but with a touch more "neon" to it. Now I know there's fellahs out there who lose their minds when a restoration isn't factory spec / stock / etc... But I like to ask, who am I restoring this car for? Am I doing it for my personal enjoyment or am I doing it to satisfy a bunch of nitpickers? I can say this Southern boy only aims to please a handful of people (they're all women and they all have my last name :worship: ). Aside from them, I don't give a rip what folks want to criticize me about. :D

Yep, that's the way it should be! People forget that its your car!.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Big John said:
Confederate1969 said:

Yep, that's the way it should be! People forget that its your car!.

I agree with Big. While I'm one of those guys who prefers my cars as they came from the factory, but I also know that there are many who don't have that interest so I accept the fact that people have the right to do what they want with their car. From what you've told us about what the car means to you I'm sure that you do a good job with what ever you finally do to it.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I've always been a "Day Two" kinda guy. aftermarket wheels,fat tires out back, loud pipes,etc.That's the way I remember Musclecars being when I was growing up.
I agree, it's YOUR car, YOUR$$$$, do your car to make YOU happy.
.......just no big diameter wheels PLEASE!!!!

"Dear Santa"

162422184_o.jpg

Confederate1969

Reaction score
The car means quite a bit to me indeed. I can assure everyone here that whatever I do, it won't be careless or rushed. Having seen that my dad was already modding the car quite a bit and did not have the original paint on it, I don't feel bad about not keeping it stock myself either. The way I see it - if I'm gonna bust my nuckles and break my bank, I want it to be exactly the way I want it.

Don't get me wrong either, I can certainly appreciate a vehicle restored to factory specs! I admire the painstaking work that goes into making sure everything is correct. And maybe if I ever get lucky enough to have another old Mopar, I will do a stock restoration. But with the one I have now, I just want to turn it into the Alanmobile. :cool:

Back