• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pulley alignment issues

rusty

Reaction score
Gent's
My 1971 426 Hemi Roadrunner with Power Steering: the previous owner had a 440 balancer on it so I just swapped out for the correct balancer and correct crank pulley. Now my Saginaw power steering pulley doesn't line up to the outer crank grove by approx 7/8".
Do I need a different P/S pulley? this one is not a press on style as you can see in the photos.

photo 1-21.jpg

photo 2-19.jpg

A12

Reaction score
Or a different crank pulley??? I had a similar issue but not with a Hemi and not with power steering but with my '68 road runner 383 and A/C and found about 6 different crank pulley combinations. From your photo angle what's the water pump pulley alignment to the crank pulley like? It was a big hassle for me finding the correct crank pulley combination, one added issue was the crank to crank pulley mounting bolt hole alignment too........grrrrrrr. I'm going to search my archive pulley images for you....try to be back quickly but hope someone chimes in with better info.

rusty

Reaction score
I ordered the correct pulley for the water pump that is not as deep as the one from the 440 application, I really think I have a P/S pump or P/S pump pulley issue as I have checked the damper and crank pulley against numerous sources and believe it is correct.

A12

Reaction score
Just thinking out loud but I thought the alternator double pulley on the Hemi alt was for if you didn't have power steering you used the front pulley for the crank and water pump pulleys and the rear for them if you had power steering?? Here's a 1969 survivor Hemi (always at the Nat's don't know if it's relevant except for a Hemi?) without power steering using the front alternator pulley for the water pump and crank pulleys.

DSC00023.jpg

DSC00023.jpg

A12

Reaction score
couple more power steering Hemi's

145ll.jpg 145oo.jpg

145ll.jpg

145oo.jpg

A12

Reaction score
Rusty, just trying to be helpful and I'm for sure no expert but do you have a double pulley alternator? If so what's the measurement difference between the front and rear alternator pulley centers? It wouldn't happen to be 7/8"?

rusty

Reaction score
Thanks all - the P/S photos are a different brand of P/S pumps that is not a Saginaw I believe it is a Federal (may be my answer). As far as the alt I have not crossed that bridge yet but was planning on the double grove pulley to solve that side of the equation.

rusty

Reaction score
A12 - do you have any of these photos that have a better shot of the crank pulley? I think this is telling me I need to swap out the P/S pump for a Federal unit and bracket

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I think your power steering pulley is on backwards.

rusty

Reaction score
I tried the reverse also and it makes the pulley go to far forward by half a pulley grove

dangina

Reaction score
how close do they get? I've also noticed on my 400 that the crank, ps pulley, fan and alternator pulley are all close but they don't all line up perfect. I had the same problem as you, reversing the ps pulley made it worse, I'm running a saginaw unit

Last edited:
Back