• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Push Rod Help - Advice Needed

chapdog105

Reaction score
My 440 broke a push rod. I thought I just needed to adjust the rockers, but when I removed the valve cover I was surprised to find a rod missing.
I found the rod laying near the intake, but couldn't find the top piece. I took a telescoping magnet and fished for the top for a while without any luck. I then dropped the oil and fished the magnet around in the oil pan without luck. I even sifted through the used oil hoping to find it. I then went back to the intake and tried some more. I eventually found it on the other side of the intake, through the other side once I removed the passenger side valve cover.

I feel lucky to have found both pieces, and would like to avoid this happening again if possible.

Anyone else had this happen? Are you guys running one-piece or two-piece push rods? My buddy said his 440 broke a one-piece push rod, so I understand anything can happen.

Also, when the push rod broke it damaged the underside of my rocker, so I have to buy a single replacement.

I either need to replace all 16 push rods with higher quality rods. Or purchase a new two-piece rods and chalk this incident up to another example of shit happening.
Here is what I'm thinking if I replace them all...
http://store.440source.com/Pushrods-for-Adjustable-Rockers-_-RB-8905-long-New/productinfo/105-1008/

What do you guys think?

Here are some pics of what happened...

Push 4.jpg

Push 3.jpg

Push 1.jpg

Push 2.jpg

Push 4.jpg

Push 3.jpg

Push 1.jpg

Push 2.jpg

Last edited:

quikbird

Reaction score
Look for little aluminum pieces in the area under the valve train. If you find some there is a bigger problem than you think. It is a complete rebuild.

quikbird

Reaction score
Ps forgot to mention it. Pushrods can be ordered from smith bros. they custom make whatever size you need fast.

quikbird

Reaction score
this is what the rockers looked like in my engine
IMG_1703.jpg

the little missing pieces ended up all through the engine and scored the crank etc. It was a complete rebuild. It doesn't take much in the way of missing metal to create this situation. if you see any little bits in the oil, can see them as I mentioned earlier in the head, take a deep breath and do the rebuild. something else will fail soon if you don't.

IMG_1703.jpg

Last edited:
Back