• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'Puter back up and running

mcmopar

Reaction score
:party: I just rebuilt my system this morning and she's up and running again. I used to have an AMD socket 754 3400+ Venice single core cpu in it and it ran quite well. I built this system in Jan of '05 and put this cpu in it about 6-8 months later. It overclocked very well and was powerful enough for my daily tasks until I got Acad R2009. Acad R2009 with Civil 3D and Land Development Desktop is a huge resource PIG. I maxed out the ram at 2gb and it still ran slow. Plus, with my new business venture and all the new hardware I knew I needed a bump up in the performance dept so I ordered a new Sunbeam ECO750-US-BL 750W power supply, an Asus M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 motherboard, an AMD Quad Core AM3 cpu (Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz per core), 3 gb of Crucial Ballistix ram (I love Crucial Ballistix ram - good stuff), a SATA HP 1270i CD/DVD drive with Lightscribe, a SATA LG GGW-H20L Super Multi Blue DVD/Blu Ray Lightscribe drive, a PCI IDE controller card so I could put my Optiquest CD/DVD drive in and (2) 1 TB Seagate SATA hard drives. I also kept my 200 gb Maxtor boot drive and added my Maxtor 250 gb hard drive also. The motherboard has ATI video (4200) on board so I didn't need to opt for a video card.
Needless to say the thing is a BEAST and is performing very well so far. I'm going to format the Seagate drives in just a few minutes. Now I can get on with business without having to fart around with a single core system. :thumbsup:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have an abacus-powered Dell with an Etch A Sketch monitor that I'm thinking of rebuilding... :lol:

:jester:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
mcmopar said:
:party: I just rebuilt my system this morning and she's up and running again. I used to have an AMD socket 754 3400+ Venice single core cpu in it and it ran quite well. I built this system in Jan of '05 and put this cpu in it about 6-8 months later. It overclocked very well and was powerful enough for my daily tasks until I got Acad R2009. Acad R2009 with Civil 3D and Land Development Desktop is a huge resource PIG. I maxed out the ram at 2gb and it still ran slow. Plus, with my new business venture and all the new hardware I knew I needed a bump up in the performance dept so I ordered a new Sunbeam ECO750-US-BL 750W power supply, an Asus M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 motherboard, an AMD Quad Core AM3 cpu (Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz per core), 3 gb of Crucial Ballistix ram (I love Crucial Ballistix ram - good stuff), a SATA HP 1270i CD/DVD drive with Lightscribe, a SATA LG GGW-H20L Super Multi Blue DVD/Blu Ray Lightscribe drive, a PCI IDE controller card so I could put my Optiquest CD/DVD drive in and (2) 1 TB Seagate SATA hard drives. I also kept my 200 gb Maxtor boot drive and added my Maxtor 250 gb hard drive also. The motherboard has ATI video (4200) on board so I didn't need to opt for a video card.
Needless to say the thing is a BEAST and is performing very well so far. I'm going to format the Seagate drives in just a few minutes. Now I can get on with business without having to fart around with a single core system. :thumbsup:
:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I got a nice silver computer myself.

mcmopar

Reaction score
Let me put it this way: My 383 powered computer is now a fire breathing 600+ cu. in. Hemi. How's that? :drive:

droptop

Reaction score
mcmopar said:
Let me put it this way: My 383 powered computer is now a fire breathing 600+ cu. in. Hemi. How's that? :drive:

Now that's what I'm talking about!!!! :lol: I bought a cheap-o from Office Depot for 3 hundred bucks. Couldn't be happier. It does every thing I need it to do, but I don't use it for business, just home use.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
mcmopar said:
Now that, I can understand! :banana:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
[quote="ACME A12":1gkc6nc6]I have an abacus-powered Dell with an Etch A Sketch monitor that I'm thinking of rebuilding... :lol:

I think that's what I have....... :lol:[/quote:1gkc6nc6]

Turns out the abacus was totally fried in our home desktop. Ordered a whole new Dell system yesterday. Was going to just buy a new tower but the package pricing on the complete systems is so good these days it's hard to ignore...besides, we're getting a new 24" monitor out of the deal so everyone in the family will be thrilled with that...so I'll get to wear my "White Hat" around the house for a few days anyway... :lol:

mcmopar

Reaction score
I've got a 25" flat panel at work and a 22" and 19" flat panels at home. The bigger screens are sooooo nice, especially for CAD. I can have 2 or 3 programs up and running and switch between them without having to minimize programs. Dual monitors would be better at work but I just don't have the $$$ for that. I got this 25" at CompUSA for $189 after the $10 instant rebate about 4 months ago. I haven't seen a deal like that since.

mcmopar

Reaction score
Slow but that's no problem. I've been getting some advertising stuff made up and I've finally got all my hardware up and running. I'll be doing some handouts at a Daytona show in October and then at Mopars with Big Daddy and Moparty the week after that. Hope fully I can start to get some action going. The company I help out as needed just told me today they are going to have to cut back my pay because I'm "too expensive" but there is an opportunity through them to do some cool work on a university project coming up so I'll bite my tongue and be a good boy. They fail to understand that I am saving them over $7500 by having my own copy of Acad R2008 which I'm using at their office and that I have not billed them for over 80 hours worth of work. When the time comes (probably in the next few days) that we sit down and they offer me the lesser amount of $$$ per hour I am going to make sure they understand what they are getting out of the deal by having me there. I'll be cool, calm and collected and just state my case. I'll probably have to bite the bullet and take whatever they give me because there isn't anything else out there for me right now but I'm going to explain that this situation is leaving a bitter taste to say the least. Oh, well, I don't seem to have much choice. Hopefully I can get some free time to start going after some business clients in the next few weeks.

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, it goes without saying that we're all pulling for you. Stick to your plan as far as the forthcoming meeting goes - sounds like a good one. Maintaining your composure is half the ballgame...

Which show is coming up in Daytona in October???

ACME

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
Hang in there John. It sucks to have to take a crappy deal, but we do what we gotta sometimes.

moparmoose3

Reaction score
x3 i just want a DVD burner :rimshot: :drive: :drive: :banana: :banana: good job john

Back