• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question on the Body Work....

dobie

Reaction score
So im at a crossroad here. I have finally saved up enough money to pay for the sheet metal work. Now comes decision time. At this point, its guaranteed that ill make the wrong choice. But, the time is still upon me.

1) Ive had an appointment with a collision/body shop since last fall. Total price is $3k. Turn around time will be about 3 weeks. My uncle, who ive used soley in the past, says they'll do fine. Nothing will be painted though; just covered in epoxy primer.

2) Choice 2 is a one man shop. I know him personally, and hes helped me in the past. He is a retired body and paint guy, spending many years at chrysler dealerships. His sheet metal work is second to none around here. Turn around time for him will be about 3 months, at the same $3k. The major hang up is health issues. He's been sick in the past, sometimes for as long as 5 months. Hes sick right now, but nothing major, so he says.

Work involved is all the metal from the doors back, so its no little job at all.

What do you guys think? Which one should i go with?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I would go with #1 if they will crank it out and not become fill work for when they get slow, their bread and butter is insurance work, get a deadline. Also, pay as they work, don't give them a bunch of money up front, better yet pay on completion, if they won't do that go with the old sick guy because they will put you in paint jail.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
I agree with Bob. Go with the first one. If the other guy is in poor health and is sick now, why take a chance and have the 3 months turn into much more then that.

abodybill

Senior Citizen Member
Reaction score
Like said go with the first guy the healthy one and pray he does ya rite :yesnod:

Bad enough when a bodyman is healthy and they put your car in PRISON for 81/2 years. :brickwall:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Gonna have to go with everyone else here... Boy, you can tell immediately who has had a car in paint jail...myself included... :lol:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
l agree as well Steve. a guy wlth health problems screams stay away. and agreelng wlth Bob...pay as you go. wouldn't be bad ldea to show up ln your work clothes and work car.

dobie

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys. The only reason i question this is that the older guy is a good personal friend of mine, and i had already tenativley agreed to use him. Being an asshole seems to work for everyone else around me, so maybe i should try it too though.

dobie

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
l agree as well wouldn't be bad ldea to show up ln your work clothes and work car.

They shop manager already knows, as its hard to hide the 2 work cars!
:D

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
not belng an asshole Steve. just explaln to your guy your justlfled concerns about hls health.
and lf you go wlth the body shop make sure lf they get alot of lsurance jobs your car doesn't get shoved off ln a corner. your $$ ls as lmportant as the lnsurance $$

dobie

Reaction score
Yeah, I know. Just kind of referring to my life in general right now.

I know that the car will be kept inside for the 3 weeks or so. Given that, I know that they are concerned with space. These cars aren't small, and they wont be able to bring much into the rear of the shop with it in there. Luckily for us too, this has been a weird winter, so there isnt a ton of collision work right now.

dobie

Reaction score
Well, my decision was made today. With the help of you guys, i decided to keep the original plans of the body shop. A 3 week turn around time was the major factor. As for the quality, well, im sure i just screwed myself. I feel bad for cancelling on my friend though. I realize that he needs the cash more than a shop, and i do feel bad. There is, of course, no guarantee of his health holding up for the next 3 months at least. Only time now will tell if the right decision was made.

From this point forward however, its time to do things for myself, and no one else, no matter the cost, financially or otherwise.

moparchris

Reaction score
Dont feel bad, remember when money is involved its business. Nothing personal just business. Besides doing business with friends usually turns out bad. As you could imagine how bad your going to feel pissed at an unhealthy old guy and a car thats half done of done wrong in an effort to finish it before the health takes a down turn.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
no need to feel bad for dolng for yourself Steve. gotta do for yourself once ln a whlle.
and as far as havlng a frlend do the work l've had good and bad results. flrst was a total f/u and the second was great.

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
You're doing the right thing, Steve. As every one else has stated, you have to look out for #1 here. Anyone that has met you (and even those on here that have not should certainly be able to ascertain from your posts) in person knows that you are far, far from being an A-Hole. :cents:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Kind of intense looking in that photo...you need some mustard on your shirt... :D

Back