• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Questions about the R 4 paint color

nicanor

Reaction score
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4409

If you look at the R4 colors of the painted cars in the attachment which is from the reference section, one car looks like the R4 paint I have but its almost like a pumpkin and the other cars look a little darker orange. I don't like the R4 Barracuda orange very much but I do like the color in most of the pictures.

Whats the difference in color?

Thanks,
Barry

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
R4 changes with different light like no other color I can think of and then you throw in different paint companies, different people mixing and color of sealer under the paint.

nicanor

Reaction score
Understood. But what sealer/paint would help me get away from the R4 pumpkin look?

Thanks,
Barry

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
nicanor said:
Understood. But what sealer/paint would help me get away from the R4 pumpkin look?

Thanks,
Barry
Pretty sure the factory used gray under everything but I don't know if that's the color your after. Maybe some one on the board has that info and car to picture. :popcorn:

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
When painting your house, you use gray to get a consistent finished product when you are woking with a red. Not sre about a car, but would tend to think the same thing applies.

Look into this carefully. Not sure about R4, but I do know that B5 is DIFFERENT for different model years. B5 from 1969 is NOT the same as B5 from 1970. Same code, different color.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Another thing to consider is the age of the paint you are looking at. My wife has a red car and I noticed recently that it has faded to orange in some areas. It has been hit (while parked, clearly inside the box :soap: ) a few times and the repaired areas look like the rest of the car used to.

Jim S.

Reaction score
SomeCarGuy said:
When painting your house, you use gray to get a consistent finished product when you are woking with a red. Not sre about a car, but would tend to think the same thing applies.

Look into this carefully. Not sure about R4, but I do know that B5 is DIFFERENT for different model years. B5 from 1969 is NOT the same as B5 from 1970. Same code, different color.

You are correct sir. I hate to say this but, the 69 B5 paint had a little more "green" in it than the B5 paint in 70. :thumbsup:

moparchris

Reaction score
Jim S. said:
SomeCarGuy said:

You are correct sir. I hate to say this but, the 69 B5 paint had a little more "green" in it than the B5 paint in 70. :thumbsup:
Uh-oh! :bricks:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Jim S. said:
SomeCarGuy said:

Jim is always :pot: :jester:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
nicanor said:

Thanks,
Barry

F5........ F8...........

3BIRDS1X

Staff member
Reaction score
It will look red if you park next to orange cars :jester:

one idea would be to make it close to R4 it's your car and if you are in it for the long haul then cheat on it a little so you are happy with it and screw the next owner.
find a paint shop that can color map an R4 paint sample then pick a color a few shades more into the red direction get the code from them and you can then have anyone mix it off the code. if you don't get too greedy with the red chances are everyone will still think it's R4 unless you park next to one or say it isn't. I know what's factory correct I just don't care.

John69RR

Reaction score
SomeCarGuy said:

I remember when we painted my engine compartment and found that the previous body shop had sprayed white over the primer. The painter told me that if he didn't do the same the yellow would be different shade.

Back