• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Questions

JJRJR

Reaction score
Hey guys, ok a few questions. As I tie up a few loose ends on the Runner, some have suggested to me a few "improvements" and just wanted to run it by the guys that know.

1) How do you feel about carb spacers? I'm told they are the cat's meow for fuel temperature reduction and atomizaton giving decent HP gains and really no negative side effects. Sounds too good to be true.

2) Should I wrap my headers to cool down the engine compartment? Not sure I'd want to do this to a nice pair of TTI's with coating on them.

3) Finally, when driving the car there is a faint smell of exhaust gas. I know the pipes were installed using U-Clamps. Should I get the pipes welded? Is that a better seal, etc.?

Thanks guys,

John

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
1) Not too good to be true - that is why they are still around after all of these years. I like the phenolic ones. Use an open spacer to increase plenum volume and boost the upper range. Use a four hole spacer to boost low & mid range torque. Tapered spacers are the latest designs - I have no personal experience but have read that you should not use them with a cam with a lot of overlap as they can induce reversion.

2) I'm gonna go with "no" on this. Part of the reason for the ceramic coating is heat reduction. Others may have differing opinions.

3) Clamps get used from the factory - so there is a reason for this. Not really necessary to weld everything. If you weld the collectors to the head pipes and the head pipes to the mufflers then do not weld the tail pipes on; you'll never be able to take the system apart. Recheck the system for any leaks that might be causing the smell. And don't forget everything on your car is new and breaking in; you're gonna have some funny smells for a while...you may not even have a problem.

:cents:

JJRJR

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
1) Not too good to be true - that is why they are still around after all of these years. I like the phenolic ones. Use an open spacer to increase plenum volume and boost the upper range. Use a four hole spacer to boost low & mid range torque. Tapered spacers are the latest designs - I have no personal experience but have read that you should not use them with a cam with a lot of overlap as they can induce reversion.

2) I'm gonna go with "no" on this. Part of the reason for the ceramic coating is heat reduction. Others may have differing opinions.

3) Clamps get used from the factory - so there is a reason for this. Not really necessary to weld everything. If you weld the collectors to the head pipes and the head pipes to the mufflers then do not weld the tail pipes on; you'll never be able to take the system apart. Recheck the system for any leaks that might be causing the smell. And don't forget everything on your car is new and breaking in; you're gonna have some funny smells for a while...you may not even have a problem.

:cents:

Thanks very much. Yea, I've been thinking about the carb spacer for a while; thanks for your input. I agree on the wrapping. Thanks again.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I agree with the above, drive it awhile and see if the smell goes away. If not and your tail pipes go straight out the back like most of these do, the car develops allot of vacuum in the back you will notice the rear bumper and deck lid gets dirty. I would check the trunk seal and gaps around the tail lights. Also did you put the trunk divider behind the back seat?

JJRJR

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
I agree with the above, drive it awhile and see if the smell goes away. If not and your tail pipes go straight out the back like most of these do, the car develops allot of vacuum in the back you will notice the rear bumper and deck lid gets dirty. I would check the trunk seal and gaps around the tail lights. Also did you put the trunk divider behind the back seat?

Yes, we did put in the trunk divider as I recall. I've actually just reached out to a couple local chasis dyno shops. I'm not satisfied that the new Pro Systems carb was tuned correctly so now that it's all together I think it's worth the money to get it fine tuned. Also, from what I read, the carb spacers work differently on different engine combos so the only way to see if it's worth it is to try on a dyno.

Thanks,

John

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
I agree with the above, drive it awhile and see if the smell goes away. If not and your tail pipes go straight out the back like most of these do, the car develops allot of vacuum in the back you will notice the rear bumper and deck lid gets dirty.

so that's why...thanks Bob

and I agree with the new engine causing the smells.when I did my 440, it had smells till it got broke in some.

JJRJR

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
69hemibeep said:
I agree with the above, drive it awhile and see if the smell goes away. If not and your tail pipes go straight out the back like most of these do, the car develops allot of vacuum in the back you will notice the rear bumper and deck lid gets dirty.

so that's why...thanks Bob

and I agree with the new engine causing the smells.when I did my 440, it had smells till it got broke in some.

Thanks guys. Hoping that switching the vent tube hoses this weekend fixes my gas leak so I can drive this damned thing and actually get her broken in.

zupanj

Reaction score
I agree with Acme on #2. No header wrap.

While I don't know of anything negative regarding carb spacers, I also haven't noticed that they do anything positive either, in my experience. It would make sense that the fuel would be a little cooler but I don't know if that is really a problem. After all, these engines ran fine coming from the factory without spacers.

My hemi has to crank for a long time (maybe 3 minutes) before it will start after sitting for a week or so. One idea floated was that the fuel was evaporating off the carb bowls too fast and that spacers should help. They didn't and I haven't noticed any seat of the pants improvement in the cars performance.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
John. I went for a pretty long drive yesterday and every time I stop at a light I get exhaust smell in the car also, just never paid any attention to it thank you :toetap: :jester: But I can out run it :cheers:

Back