• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quick Question

69383RR

Reaction score
We have the front and rear side markers which are slightly different , one is set a little deeper but I don't have any clear pictures showing where the deeper ones go , front or back ? I tried them in both places and its a close call but I want to do it right.

432008_zps04789880.jpg

Last edited:

1969beepbeep

Reaction score
I am not certain but it is reasonable that the angle is different to maintain the lens in vertical position to reflect horizontal lights. Therefore, I would say that the side marker shown in bottom right of your photograph is for front fender. Are your dogs wearing red booties or do they have red hoofs? Just kidding...your dogs look nice and I'll bet bring you a lot of enjoyment.

69383RR

Reaction score
Thanks guys , I just remembered I didn't have the support bar that pulls the fender in place , I guess that's why they looked the same in both positions . Thanks again , Tom.

Last edited:

69383RR

Reaction score
I guess this is how it should look

654007_zps5cecb27e.jpg

You know I was messing around with these side markers today because they just didn't look right to me , and I got to thinking how cool it would be to modify them to light up , maybe with led lights . It couldn't be that difficult , the hard part is done .

Last edited:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
'70s are bigger/different shape I do believe. I always thought they would look good of they lite up.

69383RR

Reaction score
'70s are bigger/different shape I do believe. I always thought they would look good of they lite up.

Yep they sure would . I thought about a different model year as well . Saw a complete set on eBay but was unsure about the size so I passed on them . I think with a little creativity it can be done with existing components and hardware, especially with the small but powerful LED lights out there . I'll look into it and see what I can come up with and post my findings .

modernistsouth

Reaction score

On my '70-- Shape-wise, they're the same- a rectangle with fillet corners. The overall dimensions are 5 1/4" x 2 3/4" with an opening that's 4 3/4" x 2 1/4".

moparmonk

Reaction score
Do any of you back in the day technicians know why the 69 cars did not get lit but 68 and 70 did? Pretty strange

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
The man in charge of design did not like the look of what he called whale blow holes in 68 and wanted rectangles. In 69 lighted side markers were not mandated, saved money with reflectors.

modernistsouth

Reaction score
Federal regulations requiring illuminated side markers for vehicles with a width larger than 80 inches was established on January 1, 1968. For all other vehicles, it was established January 1, 1969. I can't explain why Chrysler illuminated side markers before '69, then not in '69; especially when there were no federal requirements before '68.

Last edited:

modernistsouth

Reaction score
The man in charge of design did not like the look of what he called whale blow holes in 68 and wanted rectangles. In 69 lighted side markers were not mandated, saved money with reflectors.

Sorry, must've been writing a response at the same time.

69383RR

Reaction score
I guess that's the same thing on the 68 and 69 charger . Blow hole on the 68 , no hole on the 69 . But I think the 69 lit up .

69383RR

Reaction score
On my '70-- Shape-wise, they're the same- a rectangle with fillet corners. The overall dimensions are 5 1/4" x 2 3/4" with an opening that's 4 3/4" x 2 1/4".

Thank you for giving us those dimensions . The 69 openings are 5" x 2 1/8" over all with an opening of 4 3/8" x 1 5/8" . deffanetly a difference there .

69383RR

Reaction score

Federal regulations requiring illuminated side markers for vehicles with a width larger than 80 inches was established on January 1, 1968. For all other vehicles, it was established January 1, 1969. I can't explain why Chrysler illuminated side markers before '69, then not in '69; especially when there were no federal requirements before '68.

Good info , thank you .

Back