• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quit running

Eric S

Reaction score
Hello. Was driving to a car show today in my latest purchase. I’m new to Mopar so I’m not sure where to start the trouble shoot? The car has an MSD Street Fire CDI box and an unknown brand electronic distributor with a stand alone coil and ballast resistor. We were driving and it just shut down. I have plenty of fuel. No spark. Things I’ve tried so far. Pulled wires from the CDI box and shorted together was able to make the grounded coil wire spark. I also jumped the wires on the ballast to eliminate it. No start. After waiting for 2 hours for the tow truck to arrive and then the 30 minute ride home. The car started and then immediately shut down and would not restart. Where should I start looking next? New to Mopar but not to mechanics. Thanks

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Check all the ground's. Check your fuse able link. Check rotor in the distributor. The The button that contact's the distributor cap clean it and bend it up some. Just a few thing's to check. Had a coil brand new Edelrbrock coil went through two of them. Got an MSD and all is fine now. Just a few thing's. Make sure all connections are tight.

mac

What ?
Reaction score
possibly the coil. does the coil mount vertical or horizontal? recommended to me to use msd 8222 coil. that is epoxy filled and won't have a problem with orientation or vibration.

Eric S

Reaction score
I checked the pickup coil in the distributor with an Ohmmeter. Seemed to me it was an odd reading. .425 That is decimal ,425. I don’t know much about electronics but that seems like an odd value??

mac

What ?
Reaction score
I checked the pickup coil in the distributor with an Ohmmeter. Seemed to me it was an odd reading. .425 That is decimal ,425. I don’t know much about electronics but that seems like an odd value??
you stated that car just quit. after a cool down period it started and after a short time quit. the coil and the msd box are the only 2 things that would most likely behave this way. you can check the air gap on the pickup to make sure it is in spec. you can check the pickup by disconnecting harness and rotate the dist and use a multimeter (continuity) to see if the pickup coil is opening and closing the circuit.

Eric S

Reaction score
Thanks all for the input....I used an ohmmeter and checked each lead from the pickup in the distributor to ground...I received a reading on one of the wires which I understand is not good.....So I went to NAPA purchased another pickup installed it and the car still will not start....The new replacement is also showing a reading on the meter from one of the wires....I ordered another pickup from Summit and a new MSD Street Fire box that should arrive today...If the pickup doesn't fire it then I guess replacing the box will be the next order...As stated I can make the coil fire to the grounded wire by jumping the trigger wires at the box but no spark at the plugs...I assume the box is not getting the signal from the distributor to fire or it is getting it and not completing the process...I will report back my findings Thanks Again!

V.R.D

Reaction score
the parts you have are aftermarket and would need there trouble shooting guide . with that said i would recommend to replace with a more dependable system .
i would say buy the kit from mopar all in one kit , and get a revanator box. or an old chrome box

m s d has good system but you have to buy a distributor separate from the ignition box.

Back