• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Radio plate for gauges

Rocket

Reaction score
Is there a plate you can buy to put gauges where the radio should be?

Photon440

Reaction score
Even if you took a blank radio delete plate and modified it for 2" gauges, you'd probably still have to cut some of the metal frame behind it. How far are you willing to go?

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Even if you took a blank radio delete plate and modified it for 2" gauges, you'd probably still have to cut some of the metal frame behind it.

If he goes with 2" gauges it looks doable. I was thinking the same thing and then remembered that I had taken a pic for one of the guys on the LOH Playground. With a 1/2" - 3/4" between them you could make three gauges fit.

69 RR Radio Block Off Plate.jpg

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Years ago, I made an aluminum plate with gauge holes.

Of course.. I had a machine shop to play in at the time too, but with a little patience and a file, you can make one easier than you think.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
Hopefully you told the seller "Not very far. I prefer to just pay cash."... :basketcase:

actually I had already bought the car, and the little blonde I was dating was teaching me about the birds and the bees(not the mopar kind....:groucho:)

Rocket

Reaction score
I will post pics later but I found a solution. I would have finished but as I was working on the car in the driveway my wife got in an accident making a u turn right in front of me. So now I have to work on the rear wheel of a dodge caliber tomorrow.
Anywho - I have a AC dash which I hate but I'm glad I have it now. I had a plate from a 68 RR that covers the center vent. I cut 1 5/8 holes in it and put three mini gauges in there.

I will post pics when I am done

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
good idea, I've seen that before but never thought of it.

Tom S.

Reaction score
I'm restoring a 69 Roadrunner. It had what looked to be a correct radio in it. However the broadcast sheet indicated it was a radio delete car. When I disassembled the dash, the radio wiring was cobbled so that confirmed that the radio was added. I want to go with radio delete so I need a cover. Is the picture above correct? I bought one from classic industries and it looks nothing like the picture above and would have to be cut to fit. I cant find anyone who sells a cover different than the one from Classic. If that picture is correct, I think I can make one. Also, is there a plug or cover that fills the antenna hole in the fender or do I need to remove the hole?

dmartin

Reaction score
Try e bay there are a few guys out there that have pieces like that

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
The only other person that might have one is Tony's mopar part's. Yours is not Rallye dash is it. The one's on Classic is Rallye dash blank out.

jww69rrpost

Reaction score
So you are going with aftermarket gauges, but no radio? After going through all kinds of gauge configurations, including adding a clock where the option for a clock or tach would go, and a four gauge holder below the dash, I finally decided just how ridiculous the whole setup looked, so I finally gave in and went with a
Dakota Digital gauge cluster (specifically designed for a 68 and 69 Road Runner dash). Once it was installed I came to the conclusion it was one of the best decisions I have made with the build process. Not only does it look really clean, but it also has a center display that shows what gear you are in, a clock, odometer, and a bunch of other settings. I have always just loved the look of the 68 and 69 Road Runner dash configurations, especially the ridiculous toggles and the gauge cluster... but with the addition of the Dakota Digital gauge cluster, I have to say, it looks like it should have been something Mopar should have come up with back in the day. My suggestion, for what it is worth, is to add a radio where the radio goes and do not put gauges in place of a radio. A big part of the look of those cars was the radio with the roller knobs. I replaced the stock radio with an aftermarket that is an exact match for looks; however, it functions like a modern radio. In my case I only use it to turn the power on to the trunk-mount amp and listen to Pandora for all my music needs. My system has a built in Blue Tooth, so getting the music straight from my phone... to the cars amp and speakers is super easy. My dash is all black, so the Dakota Digital fits right in with the black back ground and lighted (red) pointers... an excellent blend.

Tom S.

Reaction score
Hi Russ. I am embarrassed to say that I didn't even notice the rally instrument cluster option. The only code in the A box of the broadcast sheet is 87. No 62. So that answers my question as to why that plate wont fit. That was a very useful comment. Thanks! I did find a plastic sheet at Menards that is very close in texture, thickness and color to the radio bezel I have. I am going to try to make a radio delete plate like the one pictured above. Thanks!!!!

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Yes it is pretty bad that they do not make the regular dash part's like they do the Rally dash. Lower pad's and other parts for the dash. You know we have to think out of the box when where working on these car's in order to get it the way we want. I am sure you will come up with a good idea and will look just as well as the original. Have a good one. The only bad question is the one you don't ask. That is what we are all here for to help one another out.

Tom S.

Reaction score
Here's how the cover turned out. Pretty easy material to work with. Heat gun and clamps make it easy to shape. I used the radio plate as a template. Hardest part was getting the holes right. Result after 3 attempts was good.

20200508_100952.jpg

20200506_185929.jpg

20200507_135522.jpg

Back