• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

random trunk thoughts / carpet idea

sam z

Reaction score
Have a source that will embroider some carpet for me for not a whole bunch of money.
The same thickness of stuff that you'd see in a new car trunk, etc. Anyway, I want to cut it
to shape, have it embroidered and put a hem / border around it. I've got some great, low cost
sources for all of the work which is cool.

The Question: What is the best way to stiffen up the carpet to more or less permanently
take the shape of the slight depression that we all have in our RR trunk? I've done some internet
searches, youtube, whatever but not finding anything convincing. I want the rug to have the
shape but be removable. In other words, I don't want to glue it to the trunk floor.

Big John, you seem to have a knack for these unique situations. Let me know what you
think guys.

sam z

Reaction score
I think I found and answer, please read if you have used fiber glass before:

1. Tape down ample amounts of wax paper to the surface of the trunk (supposedly fiber glass will not stick to it).
2. Apply fiber glass and resin to the back side of the carpet that needs to contour to the floor.
3. Put carpet in place, form it by hand, use bricks, stones, heavy stuff to push and hold in place for contours.
4. Wait until the whole thing dries, remove weights and rug, take wax paper off of trunk floor, drop rug back in place.

Good idea or no way?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
The fiberglass will be abrasive to the floor so you will need a liner under it :cents:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I had carpet in my trunk for a while and I liked it. I decided to put the OE mat in for a while, but I think the carpet is going back in.

The carpet will just lay in the depression if you aren't using a pad.

If you want to use a pad, try this:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=581367

The posts by "special ed" are the most relevant.

Back