• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ray's Duster Pics

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In response to a recent request for pics...here ya go...

1970 Duster 340. Originally FE5. Shown here in faded Light Firethorn Metallic IMRON and primer. Been wearing the 1973 fenders (wrong side marker lights) since a 1979 collision on Okinawa with a little Japanese construction vehicle. Hasn't been on the road since '89. Engine is still in its early eighties streetfighter configuration; 13.85 to 1 compression, ported X heads, DC crankshaft, footprint rods, Racer Brown .572"/296*camshaft, Strip Dominator, 830 annular discharge Holley. A833 w/ Super Shifter 3. 8.75" SG with factory 3.91 gearing. Ran everything from 3.23s to 5.38s in this car at one time or another. Put the 3.91s back in it in the mid eighties when I was stationed in Texas. I have owned it since October 1978 so it was my highschool ride. It is one of the (approx) one dozen '70 340 Dusters built at the Windsor plant - which is noteworthy only because Ma MoPar says she didn't build any 340 Dusters there. Sold new in Fairbanks, AK to a G.I. that later took it with him to Okinawa, Japan. He sold it to his brother when he returned to the states - his brother had come over for a visit, liked it, married a local Japanese girl, and never left. He then sold it to another young G.I. who kept it about a year - and I bought it from him. I'll have to see if I can scan some old pictures so you can see her in her glory - as opposed to in her current dust collector and parts storage space role, buried in the bowels of the garage...

Ray

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
1970 Duster 340. B5 with console-shifted 727. It has air conditioning, P/S, PDB, and was fairly well optioned for a Duster - except for a 3.23 geared 8.75" with a one-legger. I disasembled it and painted it back in 1989 - but it was rocked by some kids before I even got started putting it back together. Devastated, I lost interest and haven't touched it since. It's on my "To-Do List"...

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Most of you have seen this one before. 1974 Duster. Originally a leaning tower of power car, I bought a '73 Duster 340 parts car to get the 340 and K-Member/Disk Brake set-up out of it and converted it. Now has a 340/904/8.75" SG with 3.55s. Bought it with 47K original miles. Now sporting just over 51K. Interior is mint and all original. One repaint, which was done before I bought the car. It was wearing a set of SBP Cragars when I bought it and they looked good with that body color so when I upgraded it to BBP I just bought another set for it. 15X6 up front and 15X8 out back.

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Last of the four. 1970 Duster. F4 with a leaning tower of power, A/C, and a 904. Grandma car out of Missouri. We're the third owners. Previous owner added the Rallyes and 340 stripes. I have every receipt and scrap of paper for it going back to day one. (Why can't it be this way with the A12...???!!! :D ) I have an Eddy-Headed 340 sitting on a stand to go in this thing...and a 4:30 geared 8.75" SG with Moser axles, etc...but need to finish some other projects before I start anything new... This thing is still wearing about half of its original paint. Interior is nearly perfect & original. Open the door and all you can smell is that vintage 1970 Plymouth vinyl - My FE5 car smelled JUST like that the very first time that I climbed in it back in the seventies - you either know exactly what I mean or you don't. It's almost like a time machine in that respect...

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
nice look'n A Bodies Ray. Man drag those cars outta the dust and get'm going.thanks for sharing.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
That '73 is very much like my first new car, a '74 Duster, it had a 318 with a 4-speed. That was a fun car and is one I often look for when browsing the ads to see what's out there.

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Basketcase said:
nice look'n A Bodies Ray. Man drag those cars outta the dust and get'm going.thanks for sharing.

Thanks. Trust me, I will get the red car and the blue car going again. Everything else is operational. But the A12 is next in the line-up once I finish and sell the 'bu... :D

:jester:
Ray

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
That '73 is very much like my first new car, a '74 Duster, it had a 318 with a 4-speed. That was a fun car and is one I often look for when browsing the ads to see what's out there.

It is also a '74...the '73 was the donor car...

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Plymouthfan said:
wow Ray, I'm digging that 70 F4!!!! :cool:

Thanks. Got a thing for unmolested leaning tower of power cars, do ya? Here's a couple more shots. These pictures are all about four years old now - I can tell because the grass still hadn't completely grown back after I built the garage (Summer 2004) and she isn't wearing any trim rings - I dragged the original ones from my FE5 car down out of the rafters and installed them a few months after I bought this car (which was at Mopars with Big Daddy in November of 2004). This thing is a blast to drive - zero to 60 in about a day, but just drives like they're supposed to. The AM radio delivers spanish music, talking heads, or sports talk with equal ease... :lmao:

Ray

Back