• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Really cool site...

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting that it states:

"Satellite fans note that a high price class Belvedere is a Satellite and your first two characters would then be "RH." Satellite coupes are a low price class, which would be "RL."

First part is dead-on but then it is uh, no, not so fast... There is no such beast as a Satellite Coupe...By definition that would in fact be a Belvedere...at least for 1969...run the production numbers for a "RL23" and you'll come up snake eyes...

As an aficionado of stripped down, Belvedere-base Road Runners I tend to pay attention to this stuff...

:jester:

sam z

Reaction score
Ray,
I don't know much compared to others but I agree with you on the RM / RL / RS stuff. When I bought my car I found the "Encyclopedia of American Auto Manufacturing 1940-1974" (or something like that) and did a little digging. I was horrified by the idea that I might buy a clone so I went right away to the Plymouth section.

Anyway, if my memory is correct, there were very few Belvedere 2dr coupes made in 1969. It was somewhere around 9,000 give or take. According to the book, they were RL21 code cars.

Pretty interesting I think, and it basically convinced me my car wasn't a clone. My car was painted in the 1970's as well as receiving the engine it has (cop car 440). I thought to myself, who in 1975 would bother to paint and clone a 1969 piece of junk Belvedere? Plus, the K-frame, tranny, and leaf springs would be all wrong because the Belvedere would just have regular passenger car components. My fender tag and dashboard match properly so I wasn't losing too much sleep over it, I just found it to be interesting.

Why I'm telling you guys all of this I'm not really sure. Probably because this is the only group of people that would have remote interest. And, I've been waiting to share it for a few years.

Wouldn't you know it however that within a week some idiot looked at the car and said it was a "fake" because of the post. Do some homework, dork.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
sam z said:
Ray,
I don't know much compared to others but I agree with you on the RM / RL / RS stuff. When I bought my car I found the "Encyclopedia of American Auto Manufacturing 1940-1974" (or something like that) and did a little digging. I was horrified by the idea that I might buy a clone so I went right away to the Plymouth section.

Anyway, if my memory is correct, there were very few Belvedere 2dr coupes made in 1969. It was somewhere around 9,000 give or take. According to the book, they were RL21 code cars.

Pretty interesting I think, and it basically convinced me my car wasn't a clone. My car was painted in the 1970's as well as receiving the engine it has (cop car 440). I thought to myself, who in 1975 would bother to paint and clone a 1969 piece of junk Belvedere? Plus, the K-frame, tranny, and leaf springs would be all wrong because the Belvedere would just have regular passenger car components. My fender tag and dashboard match properly so I wasn't losing too much sleep over it, I just found it to be interesting.

Why I'm telling you guys all of this I'm not really sure. Probably because this is the only group of people that would have remote interest. And, I've been waiting to share it for a few years.

Wouldn't you know it however that within a week some idiot looked at the car and said it was a "fake" because of the post. Do some homework, dork.

Sam, don't you know that there is always someone who knows more about your car then you do? Or at least they THINK, they do!!! :lmao:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
sam z said:
Ray,

Its a fake, I can tell from here :jester:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Its a fake, I can tell from here :jester:

:lol: That damned HemiBeep always makes me laugh...for those of you that haven't met Bob in person I can assure you his wit and sense of humor is even better in person... :lol:

Sam - that was an interesting story. Thanks for sharing. Good thing Bob is going to Carlisle with us this year; I think he owes you a :cheers: after that one... :D

:jester:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
ACME A12 said:
69hemibeep said:
Sam :thumbsup: I like the stories behind these gems as much as the cars.

But no offer to buy him a beer... :basketcase:
I thought you would buy for the both of us :cheers:

You going with the "poor, retired phone cop forced to rejoin the workforce in order to make ends meet" on this one??? :lol:

sam z

Reaction score
Glad you like the story. Just to add to it, the encyclopedia was at a used book store. I didn't buy it as it was a little over priced in my opinion. I changed my mind a few weeks later and went back to get the book but it was gone.

Gonna go to alibris books now to see if I can find the thing again...

Back