• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Really strong gasoline smell

JJRJR

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am parking my RR in my garage. I wasn't expecting such a major gasoline smell. I think the carb is running rich as a buddy of mine said he saw liquid coming from the tail pipes. It's a Pro Systems carb. They said they are good to go OOTB, but I think it needs some adjustments. Needless to say, the wife isn't digging the smell so I need to figure out what's up. No leaks of gasonline or oil anywhere (so far).

Thanks,

John

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
good to go but you still have to set float level .....adjust air and fuel mixture and sometimes set jet sizes

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
the liquid from the pipes is probably just condensation.

challengergary

Reaction score
George is probably right about the floats - they probably need to be set. I'll have Jimmy come by and help me with the carb when you bring it up. My shop probably has better air flow with the roof vent so we never noticed it here.

JJRJR

Reaction score
challengergary said:
George is probably right about the floats - they probably need to be set. I'll have Jimmy come by and help me with the carb when you bring it up. My shop probably has better air flow with the roof vent so we never noticed it here.

Cool Gary, thanks. Not sure if there is some type of guage or tool that gets the right air/fuel mixture, but I do think she's running a bit rich.

I took Pam for a ride yesterday afternoon!! :) She held on tight.

challengergary

Reaction score
The carb actually has site glasses on the side for adjusting the floats. For the fuel/air mixture, you can tune it by ear (if you are good - sorry but I'm not, Jimmy is) or you can tune it using an exhaust gas bung. Jimmy mentioned when he was here one day that he thinks Pro-Systems likes to use really "fat" jets when they tune the carb so they usually run pretty rich. He said that he'd probably drop the jets down a a notch or two. You'll loose a little power but won't be running as rich either.

george68hemirr

Reaction score
challengergary said:
The carb actually has site glasses on the side for adjusting the floats. For the fuel/air mixture, you can tune it by ear (if you are good - sorry but I'm not, Jimmy is) or you can tune it using an exhaust gas bung. Jimmy mentioned when he was here one day that he thinks Pro-Systems likes to use really "fat" jets when they tune the carb so they usually run pretty rich. He said that he'd probably drop the jets down a a notch or two. You'll loose a little power but won't be running as rich either.
air-fuel mixture can be set by rpms on your tach.....start out with 1 to 1 1/4 turns out .....bring screws in or out and watch you rpms.....once you reach your highest rpms you are there
PRO-SYSTEMS sets up your carb to W.O.T....wide open throttle....thats why it may be a little fat....you dont want it to be too lean at wide open throttle
you may not have sight glasses... may be just screws.....make sure you have some rags under it to catch the raw gas.....you dont want a fire

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
moparstuart said:
my garage has always smelled that way
That's you Stuie, even when you were a little boy, prior to us abandoning you on the R&R tracks and god only knows how you got off of those all tide up, we called you our little gas pump. :yesnod:

george68hemirr

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
moparstuart said:
That's you Stuie, even when you were a little boy, prior to us abandoning you on the R&R tracks and god only knows how you got off of those all tide up, we called you our little gas pump. :yesnod:
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

4spd69RR

Reaction score
I had a raw gas smell with my 71 Dart. I thought it was my carb setting causing the engine to burn rich. Had it adjust and the smell presisted. I finally took it to a mechcanic and he found my problem. It was my gas tank vent tube. After replacing it the smell went away.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
69hemibeep said:
moparstuart said:
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
:yeathat:

moparstuart

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
moparstuart said:
I dont know I woke up at the grand canyon in a trash can wearing a mullet wig ?

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
yeah yo do look better without the 'stash......

Back