• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Really strong gasoline smell

V269

Reaction score
I always adjust my carb with a vaccum guage. With the car warmed up and at idle turn your mixture screws in and out with a vaccum gauge hooked up to the base of your carb. When you get the highest reading on the gauge your there. Seem's to work for me. Of course this is after setting float levels. You may have to fool with jets or squirters as well but the vac guage trick work's pretty good. :thumbsup:

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
close call stuie :groucho:

sometimes you dont have any vacumn ports but if you do the highest reading is correct :groucho:

mcmopar

Reaction score
The jets won't do much for you at idle. Idle mixture is controlled by the idle mixture circuit. The main jets are part of the power circuit and come into play after the idle mixture circuit.

V269

Reaction score
mcmopar said:
The jets won't do much for you at idle. Idle mixture is controlled by the idle mixture circuit. The main jets are part of the power circuit and come into play after the idle mixture circuit.
Yea, your exactly right on that. Guess I should have thought of that. My bad. :facepalm:

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
read your spark plugs right after wide open throttle......this will tell the true story about your jets....larger number is fat and smaller number is lean

Back