• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear End Back Up

Collin

Reaction score
So after puttin in the new trunk and rebuilding the inner wheel housings, it was finally time to freshen up that rear end and get her back underneath. So I took a wire wheel to the 40 years of grime and grease that was all over. Turns out the grime actually preserved the metal. And guess what?? Factory yellow inspection stripes and factory yellow date stamps!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Now here comes the part where you guys are gonna kill me :sada: , I painted over it!! The housing and a little bit out was fine, but past that the outer housing and axles were pretty pitted and rusty. Soooo in the interest of having a rear end that had fresh paint and looked nice (keep in mind, i dont have the orig. motor, and my car is not a survivor ....quarters, trunk etc etc) I decided to cover it up. Put on new stainless lines from Year one, along with new U bolts and bushings. Heres a pic of how it looks now, still a couple more parts to add on...but I will do that once i run the rest of the brake lines and hang the tank..

thats the drive shaft on the floor, gives you an idea how bad the unprotected metal on the rear end was....
o and one more thing to add to this novel of a post.....rear end is dusty and all fingerprinted up...looks a lot better wiped down!!

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Nobody here is going to get mad. It's your car, do it the way you want. Hopefully, you took pictures of the markings so you could post them in case someone else would need that info. My will be shiney when I get done............. :thumbsup:

Collin

Reaction score
Actually I did get some pic! But they got deleted somehow :brickwall: :brickwall: Sometimes when you get goin on a project you just get on a roll, then stop and say WOW i should have photographed that!! I wish i took before and after pics of my inner wheel housings, that really came out amazing.

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
That's why everyone needs to get a cell phone with a good camera. You always have it with you and you can send the pic to your computer as soon as you take it...... :thumbsup:

Collin

Reaction score
I just did that with the rear end pic....still have a video of a 440 6 pack vs a hemi drag race from carlisle, along with 2 AFX cars.....cant bring myself to delete them!!

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Collin said:
I just did that with the rear end pic....still have a video of a 440 6 pack vs a hemi drag race from carlisle, along with 2 AFX cars.....cant bring myself to delete them!!
Post them.........

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
Nobody here is going to get mad. It's your car, do it the way you want. Hopefully, you took pictures of the markings so you could post them in case someone else would need that info. My will be shiney when I get done............. :thumbsup:

X2. We like 'em original, we like 'em mildly modified, we like 'em highly modified - we like 'em all... It's your car - that's always first & foremost. Do whatever you want...with one exception; put a set of Donk wheels on it and we'll skin you alive... :lmao:

:jester:

Collin

Reaction score
Oh come on I was gonna put some 24" spinners on there!! :loco: :loco:

Collin

Reaction score
apparently i cannot take the video from my phone and email it .............and my videos on my computer are too big to put on here WTF...

Collin

Reaction score
now that I think of it......."Rear end back up" may have not been the best name for this post :lol: :lol:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
Collin said:
Oh come on I was gonna put some 24" spinners on there!! :loco: :loco:

:brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

Collin

Reaction score
Don't worry I am only kidding, Magnum 500 are gonna be the shoe of choice

dobie

Reaction score
Looks good! Trust me, my car isn't a survivor either. I'm putting mine together how I want to, and according to my budget. Needless to say, my car is hardly "factory correct."

:cheers:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Collin said:
now that I think of it......."Rear end back up" may have not been the best name for this post :lol: :lol:
That's mild compared to some of the things that have been said around here! :lmao:

Back